How to deploy Windows 8.1 to many tablets ? RRS feed

• Question

• We need to create a customized OS image (SOE) for Windows 8.1 and deploy to a number of tablet devices in our company.

We can create the customized image but am are not clear about how to deploy to a tablet. We have SCCM 2012.

Whats the best way to deploy an OS image to a Windows tablet ? I would prefer detailed steps on this procedure.

• Edited by rusty_vin Monday, August 25, 2014 7:09 AM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 7:07 AM

Answers

• Detailed procedures are not possible without a detailed inventory of your environment.

PXE is my choice for new OS deployments, but not all tablets have PXE. Specifically what tablets do you have?

Some Tablets are also not able to run x64 OS. Do you have any Atom processor machines?

Installation works best when running from Ethernet, rather than Wi-Fi? What is your wired Network status?

Do your machines need to be domain joined? do you have procedures for imaging machines dis-connected from your corpnet?

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

probably the easies way would be using some usb nic and PXE. If you cannot get PXE to work on the usb nic (which is probable) an usb boot medium will be required.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Monday, August 25, 2014 9:18 AM
  • Detailed procedures are not possible without a detailed inventory of your environment.

PXE is my choice for new OS deployments, but not all tablets have PXE. Specifically what tablets do you have?

Some Tablets are also not able to run x64 OS. Do you have any Atom processor machines?

Installation works best when running from Ethernet, rather than Wi-Fi? What is your wired Network status?

Do your machines need to be domain joined? do you have procedures for imaging machines dis-connected from your corpnet?

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:49 PM