I managed to break Compatibility Mode - how should I fix it? RRS feed

• Question

• I was tweaking some registry settings (I'm an experienced user), and I disabled the Compatibility Mode Assistant. I have no problem setting things manually, but once I disabled it, no matter what my compatibility mode settings were set to for programs, they wouldn't work. Programs that were working no longer did. I tried reenabling it, and it succeeded, but compatibility mode STILL doesn't work.

To verify, I wrote the following (simple) C++ app:

#include <windows.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    int main ()
    {
    	OSVERSIONINFO info;
    	info.dwOSVersionInfoSize = sizeof(OSVERSIONINFO);
    	GetVersionEx(&info);
    	printf("Version: %i.%i.%i\n", info.dwMajorVersion, info.dwMinorVersion, info.dwBuildNumber);
    	system("Pause");
    }

According to MSDN, when compatibility mode to another OS is used, GetVersionEx should return -that- versions information.

When running it without compatibility mode, this is the output (as expected):

Version: 6.1.7600

When running it in XP-SP3 compatibility mode:

Version 6.1.7600

It is the same result in any other mode. It should be returning the version of the OS I am running compatibility mode for.

Therefore, the only possible problem could be that Compatibility Mode is not working, as in not enabled or just not functioning. Does anyone know perchance how I might fix it?

Thank you!

Kaiser der Deutschen
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:29 AM

Answers

• Do a System Restore to before you made the change.
    Rich The only two things that are infinite in size are the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not completely sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
    • Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, June 14, 2010 7:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, June 21, 2010 2:28 AM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:22 AM