Scripting in App-V 5.0 RRS feed

• General discussion

• What kind of scripting do you use? Any reason to prefer .cmd/powershell/.vbs/... ?

Are you using the scriptlauncher tool from tmurgent? http://www.tmurgent.com/Tools/ScriptLauncher/default.aspx
    And offcourse ACE to modify the external configuration files http://virtualengine.co.uk/vet/ace/
    Any other good tools for using with app-v 5.0 scripting?

Anyone want to share script modules they use in there packages so I can have an idea of how to properly use scripting in app-v 5.0. Thanks.
    • Changed type Brandon RecordsModerator Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:01 PM User looking to initiate discussion of scripting techniques.
    Friday, January 16, 2015 4:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I am always using a scripting language I am familiar with.

No, I am not

See this other tool;

http://www.gridmetric.com/products/ave.html

I haven't created anything specific for App-V when it comes to scripting.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Saturday, January 17, 2015 8:05 PM
  • Whenever I'm sequencing anything that involves more than running a single installer I create a batch file with the commands required to copy files, run installers etc etc. That way, I have a record of what I did so that I can recreate it later.

I haven't found a need for VBS in App-V as I find Powershell has done everything I've needed and easier to use.

Here's a pretty typical way I'd use powershell in App-V (in the DeploymentConfig). This just creates a directory if it doesn't already exist.

<MachineScripts>
          <AddPackage>
            <Path>powershell.exe</Path>
            <Arguments>-NonInteractive -Command if (test-path -path C:\REPORTS) {return 0} else {mkdir C:\REPORTS}</Arguments>
            <Wait RollbackOnError="true" Timeout="30"/>
          </AddPackage>
        </MachineScripts>

I haven't needed to use the ScriptLauncher but have found AppV_Manage and AppV_SelfService useful from TMurgent. 
    Monday, January 19, 2015 11:07 PM
  • When calling a script from DeploymentConfig, I use PowerShell.  From within the PowerShell I can call out to other scripting languages as needed (if necessary)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:09 PM
  • Hi there,

I actually use PowerShell (I am familiar with VBS, CMD and PowerShell), but the main reason for that is the AppVClient Module that is available as soon as you install the AppV Client. This way you have an easy integration of AppV and PS and the other reason is that I can run the scripts even outside of the AppV environment and trigger actions from within the package bubble. I think the command is:

Start-AppvVirtualProcess -AppvClientObject ...

No - I don't use the scriptlauncher

To use the AppVClient module simple open powershell and enter:

Import-Module AppvClient

Have fun

Amir

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:55 PM
  • Like Cody, I have been using Powershell

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:09 AM