'Not enough Memory to run Microsoft Office Excel" shortcut within MS Project bubble RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hi I'm getting an error 'Not enough Memory to run Microsoft Office Excel Please close other applications' (2007)

This is when I launch a shortcut to excel from within a Microsoft Office Project SP2 bubble.

Reason I've put a shortcut in the bubble is becasue the user wants to access Project Library files in Excel 2007 Visual basic.

I have a feature block one. App-v 4.6 SP1. 2G ram Xendesktop

Any Ideas? Got 8GB spare on my Q: drive. C: is showing 11.1GB. Is this a limitation of APP-V

Cheers

Sandylaner

• Edited by Sandylaner Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:30 AM

Answers

• What if you delivered Project and Excel (separate to the Office 2007 install locally) in the same package? This might require removing the FTAs for the Excel inside the package and depending on usage setting LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED to DISABLED.

As an aside, are you delivering Project in this way to fullfil Project licensing requirements? Or is this for other requirements?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:01 AM

All replies

• Is Excel also virtualized? When virtualizing Project did you have Excel/Office installed on the sequencing VM?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Aaron

MS office is installed locally and part of the xendesktop build and as standard we have MS office 2007 installed prior to sequencing on the 4.6sp1 packaging VM.

My Excel Shortcut created within the package points to C:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Excel.exe

Cheers

Sandylaner

• Edited by Sandylaner Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hello,

Have you enabled LOCAL INTERACTION ALLOWED?

If not, I suggest you read this;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939796

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Thanks Znack, that was the first thing I tried, yes its set to true.

<POLICIES>
        <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
       </POLICIES>

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Does the action of running Excel during the sequencing of Project work at sequencing time? Are you able to test on a VM instance where Windows is as vanilla as possible (not on the domain, no AV etc), with just Office 2007 installed and the App-V client?

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Hello,

Anything else that you tried?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

To test..

Ive put the xenapp client on a Fat machine with 4gb RAM and dual core processor. and launched project, no anti-virus present and ive taken it off the domain. Same error occurs..

Also note when packaging,

Ive not run Excel 2007  during sequencing. Just created a shortcut.

Created a  Feature block 1 by running  Project only.. (I didnt run the excel shortcut)

I've also tested on the xendesktop opening windows explorer in the bubble using the /exe explorer.exe command line in the  Project 2007 shortcut.  Navigating to the word and powerpoint .exe the same error occurs.

I could go Xenapp...but wonder if there is anything else to try?

Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:48 AM
  • What if you delivered Project and Excel (separate to the Office 2007 install locally) in the same package? This might require removing the FTAs for the Excel inside the package and depending on usage setting LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED to DISABLED.

As an aside, are you delivering Project in this way to fullfil Project licensing requirements? Or is this for other requirements?

Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Thats something I've not done yet. Delivered both Excel and Project in the same Package, I've not tried it this way was  unsure how Excel would behave as there would be two EXCEL's 2007  present (Seq and on image). I could and will  try this Aaron!

We deliver Project sequenced  and not provide it on the build to meet our licensing requirements this  helps us administrate the 2000+ users who are using Xendesktop. Some users use Project 2007 standard/Pro, Publisher 2007/Stan/Pro etc different flavours depending on the licence purchased by that particular department. We currently have two different standard desktops 2003 and 2007 in live. Were using W7 too but thats only the IT deparments at present.

I am currently testing using the Xenapp now..but I will at some point give your method a go..

Thanks for your help...Sandylaner

Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:59 AM
  • OK, keep us posted then.

To be clear, using App-V (or any app virt solution) or any other method to deliver applications to users, doesn't comply with the Office licensing terms. Office is licensed per-device - that is the actual physical device that the user is accessing the Office application from, regardless of who the user is. 

What you're doing with App-V and Office delivery is technically fine (and probably also helps simplify your images), but it would be worth discussing Office licensing with a Microsoft licensing expert. It might be possible that you have an EA where you just report usage back to Microsoft every 12 months and that covers your Office licensing.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Thanks Aaron for the heads up...we have a department that looks after the licensing agreements and licenses and have all that in hand.  When the user finally responds tests for me (The joys of UAT testing) I've more...cheers.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 11:09 AM