none
Expanding RAID-5 Array RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have seen this question asked on other forums and similar questions asked here but I don't have a definitive answer that I can act on just yet so I am appealing for some help please!

We have the following setup:

Dell PowerEdge R310 w/ DELL PERC S100 S300 Controller
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
    DPM 2010
    4 (4x1Tb) Disk RAID-5 Array (0.5Tb for System Storage, 1.5Tb DPM Storage Pool, 1Tb disk global redundancy)

We are fast running out of storage space and I would like to upgrade the 4x1Tb disks to 4x2Tb disks. I know the following process may not be the most ideal solution, but our not-for-profit company can't afford to purchase an iSCSI LUN right now and I need to solve this problem as a matter of urgency.

Can anyone confirm if the following would work?

Physical Disks 0,1,2 are in RAID-5, Disk 3 is the global redundant disk. If I were to hot swap disk 2 with a 2Tb drive (replacing the current 1Tb drive), allow the disk to rebuild, then repeat the process for Disk 1, 0, 3 would DPM automatically see the increase in storage pool size?

Hope that makes sense and someone can help.

Many thanks,

• Edited by lbwl Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:45 AM

Answers

• Closing for housekeeping purposes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you should work with DELL on this, I have a feeling that since you already configured the LUNs in Athe RRAY, that the rebuild will maintain those original LUN sizes and you will need to make a new LUN out of the new free space. Windows should see the new LUN disk.  Once Windows sees it, initialize it and then add it to the DPM Storage pool and DPM can then use it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Ok, thank you for your help. I have seen other articles where people have tried the same thing but then not come back to say what the outcome was. I have tried speaking to DELL, but they can't be sure how DPM will behave once the new drives are rebuilt. I guess I can try it and see, if I end up having to create a new LUN and add it to the DPM pool, that should be fine anyway.

If anyone else has any comment on this, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Many thanks,
    Will

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:12 AM
  • Closing for housekeeping purposes.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:33 PM