none
Project Professional 2010 problem working with Group filtering RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large file. I have a Text field that I enter the responsible PM's name.  I created a custom Group that puts each name and the summary/task together.  My problem is the upper level WBS's that have no name assigned are sorted to a group called "No Value".  (which is fine with me)  I can hit the - sign and collapse the section down so they are not all showing.

What I would like to know is there a way to filter or hide the "No Value" line when I run the reports.  Since it is a group it has no row number (ID).  Is there some default or place to select which groups to display or not?

Thanks,

Steve      

• Moved by Max Meng Friday, June 10, 2011 12:56 AM (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Steve,

It is possible to edit the report and apply a previously created filter (e.g. Text Field does not equal -leave blank-) to the report under the Definition tab of the Task Report dialog box. Is that what you are looking for ?

--Ismet

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:12 PM
  • It's not working for me.  Let me explain it better.  Simple file structure: 

WBS  POCTEXT1  TaskName                      Start         Finish

1.0     Blank          Program Management     x/xx/xx     x/xx/xx

1.1     Joe             XYZ Plan                        x/xx/xx     x/xx/xx

1.1.1   Joe            Draft                              x/xx/xx    x/xx/xx

1.1.2  Joe              Review                           x/xx/xx      x/xx/xx

1.1.3   Joe             Approve                          x/xx/xx    x/xx/xx

2.0    Blank          Acquisition                          x/xx/xx    x/xx/xx

2.1.     Sam             ABC Plan                       x/xx/xx   x/xx/xx

2.1.1   Sam            Draft                             x/xx/xx   x/xx/xx

2.1.2   Sam            Review                            x/xx/xx x/xx/xx

2.1.3   Sam            Approve                          x/xx/xx x/xx/xx

I have a custom group POCTEXT1 and the group has Show summary tasks checked because I need to see the associated summary of the task.  The results is I get the groups Joe, Sam etc... But I also the very first group named No Value which contain rows where there is no name in POCTEXT1.  I tried making a custom filter as you suggest but it did not filter the blank ones out.

Steve

Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:00 AM
  • Hello Steve,

Filter not to list "No Value" lines:

-- Ismet

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:50 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Ismet, That works when viewing the entire file.  (Thank you for introducting me to this ImageShack App.  A picture is a 1,000 words) My real world file spands 3 years.  What I'm trying to do is show only tasks starting within a 90 days.  Using this sample I have added dates and to the filter to show result when applied. 

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/samplefile.png/ 

Steve

Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:54 PM
  • You're welcome.  You can browse and review the predefined filters to better understand how it works. And there is more at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/filter-tasks-or-resources-HA101929354.aspx?CTT=1

--Ismet

Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:49 PM