Administrator account still showing RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 user accounts on my XP Pro machine; the built in Administrator, "User 1", and "User 2". Both the Administrator and User 1 are local administrators and I installed SteadyState under the User 1 account. The User 2 account is my "locked-down" account and I have the machine setup so that on a restart it automatically boots into the User 2 account.

However, If User 2 logs off, the welcome screen shows the User 1 account, even though that is an Administrator account and I have the "Remove the Administrator user name from the welcome screen" option selected. Does this option only remove the built-in admin account from the welcome screen? If so, is there a way to only have the "locked-down" account show on the welcome screen?

-Dave
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Dave, I'd like to inform you that the restriction in Windows SteadyState only removes built-in administrator account. You can try the following steps to see if the accounts can be hidden:

NOTE: Please carefully when hiding the user account from the Welcome Screen, or you may lock out yourself from accessing the system.

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT into Search bar and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

3. Right click Winlogon in the left pane, click Export, select Desktop in the Save in box and type Backup (without the quote) in File Name, then click Save.

Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named as Backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file. Once we have completed the troubleshooting and the issue has been resolved we may delete that file.

4. Right click on Winlogon on the left pane, click New -> Key.

5. Name the key as SpecialAccounts.

6. Right click on SpecialAccounts on the left pane, click New -> Key.

7. Name the key as UserList.

8. Right click on UserList on the left pane, click New -> DWORD (32-bit) value.

9. The value name is the exact username that you want to hide.

For example, I would like to hide user account "Test" from the Welcome Screen, the value name for this key is Test.

10. The numerical value is a 0 or a 1. If you set it to 0, then the account will be hidden. Set it to 1, and it will be shown.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:55 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave, I'd like to inform you that the restriction in Windows SteadyState only removes built-in administrator account. You can try the following steps to see if the accounts can be hidden:

NOTE: Please carefully when hiding the user account from the Welcome Screen, or you may lock out yourself from accessing the system.

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT into Search bar and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

3. Right click Winlogon in the left pane, click Export, select Desktop in the Save in box and type Backup (without the quote) in File Name, then click Save.

Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named as Backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file. Once we have completed the troubleshooting and the issue has been resolved we may delete that file.

4. Right click on Winlogon on the left pane, click New -> Key.

5. Name the key as SpecialAccounts.

6. Right click on SpecialAccounts on the left pane, click New -> Key.

7. Name the key as UserList.

8. Right click on UserList on the left pane, click New -> DWORD (32-bit) value.

9. The value name is the exact username that you want to hide.

For example, I would like to hide user account "Test" from the Welcome Screen, the value name for this key is Test.

10. The numerical value is a 0 or a 1. If you set it to 0, then the account will be hidden. Set it to 1, and it will be shown.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:55 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Thanks Sean, I will give that try.

-Dave
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:27 PM