Accessing sharepoint via restored content database RRS feed

• Question

• Platform: Farm is 2 servers: 1) MOSS 2007 service pack 3 32 bit, windows 2003 32 bit, 2) sql server 2005 Windows 2003 32 bit

Currently we perform stsadm -o backup of each of the 1700 site collections via a scheduled script. This takes about 11 hours to complete.

Meanwhile, the sql server admins backup the actual sql server content databases during the night as well.

The only use for our site collection backup files is to fulfill the occasional request by user to recover a lost file or wiki, etc.

We run stsadm -o restore of the file to a secondary file, providing a path to the user to copy the item needed from the old site to the new site.

The question has arisen - why not stop the stsadm -o backup and just use the sql server backups.

To do that relieves a lot of the night time load on the small farm.

Are there any gotchas of which we need to be aware when doing this?

I have never had the server admins load the backup of the content database onto the separate sql server instance and then point our existing farm to it.  Many of the site collection names on the backed up content database are the same - do I have to disconnect the other content database first?

Also, is there a way for me to mark the content database as read only?

Any other words of wisdom you can provide?

Thank you so much for your help.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:40 PM