Migrate Print Server VM to new hypervisor server RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft Support,

Good Day

We have one VM that has a role as Print Server running Windows Server 2012 Data Center. This server has been joined to domain and has a hostname "Tprint1". Currently, we would like to migrate this server to our new hypervisor server. I have setup the new VM that will be used as print server with Windows Server 2019 Standard and join it to domain as well with the hostname "Tprint2".

Since all of printers installation on users client computers are pointing to the print server domain name "Tprint1", my planning is after all of the data migration done from old print server to new print server, I will shutdown the old print server "Tprint1". Then i will rename the hostname of new print server "Tprint2" to "Tprint1" and change to the same IP address of old print server. with this, i don't need to remap all of the users clients computers printers settings.

My questions:

1. is there any tools available to support the print server migration?

2. if there is no tool, what will be the recommended way of doing this?

Appreciate expert advise on this.

Many Thanks

H

Thursday, September 3, 2020 2:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

the tool is within the Print Management MMC console. When you right click the name of your print server, you have the option to export printers to a file. On the target server, use the same context menu to import that file. It contains all relevant printer configuration and the driver binaries.

Inbox drivers will not be replaced by older ones from source server but yes, you might be importing older 3rd party drivers into the target server. To minimize the impact of this, install updated compatible drivers beforehand. If they have the same device descriptions as thier respective older counterparts, the old drivers are skipped on import.

Depending on how many printer models or drivers you have, you might choose to preinstall the drivers and then export and import the ports and printers via PowerShell. However, you may not be able to transfer individual printer settings easily when doing that.

I would advise that you try the export/import routine on a test server and see if there are any errors.

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

• Marked as answer by Henry2050 Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:17 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2020 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

first, this is *not* Microsoft support but a community of IT pros helping each other in their free time.

To your questions:

1. Yes, there are tools like the printer migration wizard in the Print Management MMC or Server Migration Tools (Windows feature) but they will not assist you in changing machine name and IP address.

2. Looking back, 80% of print server migrations I did were done by PowerShell for various reasons (changing drivers in the process, moving ports from IP to FQDN or vice versa...) so this is possible, too.

You have to check if your print queues have been published in AD and remove/republish as needed.

Evgenij Smirnov

Thursday, September 3, 2020 4:43 AM
  • Dear Evgenij Smirnov,

Thanks for reminding that this is not Microsoft Support. Appreciate that.

About your answer:

1. how to find the tool to migrate the print server such as printer drivers, etc? Will the tools able to migrate everything over to new server? Yes, I know that this utility won't change machine name and IP address, but i am the one will change it manually after i shut down the old print server. I will change the new print server ip address to the same ip address as the old print server and amend the hostname to the same hostname as the old print server as well. By doing this, i would like to ensure that i won't need to remap the printers for each of my clients computers and i try to ensure that user won't experience any changes.

2. I am very worry that when migrated, the printer drivers from the old server is not compatible with the new server. old server is running Windows Server 2012 Enterprise and new server will be using Windows Server 2019 Standard. what will be your recommendation for this?

Thanks

H

Thursday, September 3, 2020 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

the tool is within the Print Management MMC console. When you right click the name of your print server, you have the option to export printers to a file. On the target server, use the same context menu to import that file. It contains all relevant printer configuration and the driver binaries.

Inbox drivers will not be replaced by older ones from source server but yes, you might be importing older 3rd party drivers into the target server. To minimize the impact of this, install updated compatible drivers beforehand. If they have the same device descriptions as thier respective older counterparts, the old drivers are skipped on import.

Depending on how many printer models or drivers you have, you might choose to preinstall the drivers and then export and import the ports and printers via PowerShell. However, you may not be able to transfer individual printer settings easily when doing that.

I would advise that you try the export/import routine on a test server and see if there are any errors.

Evgenij Smirnov

• Marked as answer by Henry2050 Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:17 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2020 6:19 PM
  • Dear Evgenij Smirnov,

Good Day

Thanks for the advise. You mentioned that to minimize the impact, i will need to install compatible drivers beforehand. do you mean that i should install the latest drivers on the new print server first, then when i import the file from the old server to the new server, those that belong to the same model will be automatically use the new drivers that i installed on the new server?

Thanks

H

Saturday, September 5, 2020 3:10 AM
  • Yes, that's what I mean. But test before you deploy to production :-)

Evgenij Smirnov

Saturday, September 5, 2020 5:56 AM
  • Dear Evgenij,

many thanks for the advise. i have successfully migrated my print server over.

Best Regards,

H

Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:17 AM