none
Copy/Paste Resources in Project Professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Project Server 2010 environment running SP2 and patched to April 2014. I use Project Professional 2010 patched up to same level. I am trying to copy/paste resources from one project to another, but the popup states that the resource is not found in the enterprise resource pool, do I want to add as a local resource.  The project from which I am copying the resources are in the enterprise pool.  Both projects are in the server.  Why can't I do this?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:39 PM

Answers

• Tom --

The bigger question is why you are not adding resources to your enterprise projects using the Build Team dialog.  That is the approach I would recommend.  I believe that if you do the copy and paste of resources from one enterprise project to another, then the project in which you paste the resources treats the pasted resources as local resources until you first save the project.  Then the software should display a dialog indicating that a local resource has the same name as an enterprise resource, and ask you if you want to replace the local resource with the enterprise resource.  Is that the behavior you are seeing?  Either way, I would still recommend you use the Build Team dialog rather than copying and pasting enterprise resources.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Tom_Herrington Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:01 PM

All replies

• Tom --

The bigger question is why you are not adding resources to your enterprise projects using the Build Team dialog.  That is the approach I would recommend.  I believe that if you do the copy and paste of resources from one enterprise project to another, then the project in which you paste the resources treats the pasted resources as local resources until you first save the project.  Then the software should display a dialog indicating that a local resource has the same name as an enterprise resource, and ask you if you want to replace the local resource with the enterprise resource.  Is that the behavior you are seeing?  Either way, I would still recommend you use the Build Team dialog rather than copying and pasting enterprise resources.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Tom_Herrington Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for fielding this one for me.  The tip you gave helped me (save and answer the questions).  Normally I don't advise copy/paste of resources, but these are "managed work" or bucket projects.  They run all year and close out at end of year.  No one wants to re-enter the same information all over.  The process will work now using the copy/paste including the ID number.  The adjustments to duration, work, and units can be made afterward, then snap a baseline for 2015. 

Thanks again...

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:47 PM
  • Tom --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:14 PM