none
Windows 10 Delete function ... RRS feed

• Question

• Why does windows 10 delete function have to count ever single file in a folder, it's called "discovering" before it will actually delete anything????  I have several large folders (I have backups of these on another disk) that I'm trying to delete to free up space.  The "Delete" has been running for over two hours now, and reporting on every file:  "Discovered xxx,xxx,xxx items.  "Time remaining" calculating.

I DON'T NEED TO KNOW ANY OF THAT, I JUST WANT THE DAMN FILES DELETED. 

Is there another delete function that I don't know about???   I've never experienced this with any other version of Windows.  And after two hours, I have no idea where it's at.  I wanted to do a system image with the space 'I'm gaining(?)', but it's still doing the "DELETE".  I'm going to bed.  I can't stay up ALL NIGHT waiting for this "DELETE" to finish.  Other versions of Windows would maybe say "File too big for delete bin, delete permanently?"  For Gods sake, yes.  I know what I'm doing.  Oh yeah, I've made mistakes before and deleted files that I didn't want deleted, but I have always had a back up.  I don't understand Microsoft's concept here on their delete function.

Please help me out here.  I can't wait for hours while the delete function counts every file before it does anything ... like actually deleting the files I tell it to.

This is just plain crazy.

Gary Baird

801-644-9033

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:01 AM