none
Cannot backup primary DPM 2012 server's Hyper-V backups after switching disaster protection. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've a situation where other of my DPM server (primary) got "some" problems, and i had to change some hardware and install the whole machine from the beginning. In that process i changed my secondary DPM to work as primary by enabling "Switch disaster protection".

Now, when i got this other DPM server back up and running and configured it to be the new secondary DPM, i noticed that i cannot do secondary backup of any of the virtualmachines from the primary DPM servewr that were backedup by the original primary DPM server. I can backup few new virtual machines that didn't exist back then and are brad new from the same hosts.

The problem seems to be that in the new primary (old secondary) DPM server it still shows "(Protection-Switched)" in all of my virtualmachines that were and still are added into existing protection groups.

How can i get the secondary backup working again?

Kind regards,

Matti

Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Matti,

After your primary DPM goes online again, you should have switched back your protection from Secondary to primary DPM.

Did you done it ?

If you restore your primary DPM as it was before your hardware failure (Same name, same DPMDB), you should switch protection back.

If you have deleted your protections groups or built a new one primary DPM, you will have to see with Microsoft to clean all the DPMDB SQL tables related to secondary protection.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:11 PM