none
Update Project options for Update Work as Complete through RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, thanks to all past and present contributors to this forum. I've lurked for several months now and it has answered a tremendous number of questions for me to date and saved me a lot of aggravation.  It's a great asset and the community is to be commended.

... enough brown-nosing (sincere as it is) ... 

I don't get the value of the Update Project > Update Work as complete though feature much less the distinction of behavior between the two sub-options

• Set 0%-100% complete
    • Set 0% or 100% complete only

I've not been able to test my way to clear understanding and detailed documentation seems a bit light (notes them as options but doesn't clarify usage) and I haven't stumbled upon a detailed treatment of it on these forums or any blogs I've googled.  

In our MSPS2010 implementation we are using timesheets (SEM) for actual work for Work resources and also employing Cost resources to manage vendor related costs.  Is there a reason we might want to use the Update Work as complete through option?

I'm generally good with the Reschedule uncompleted work to start after function and see it as valuable.  I have noticed oddities in how it assigns that uncompleted work particularly if there is contoured work in the following week(s)  -- it puts some of the remaining work on the Mondays only of the contoured weeks and I can't figure out what logic it is using to allocated some of the remaining work to the Mondays of the contoured weeks rather than allocating to the next non-contoured periods according to assignment units.

Anyways ... my main question is about the Update Work complete stuff.

Thanks for any input.

Grady

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:03 PM

Answers

• First off, No, if you are using SEM mode in 2010 you would not likely want to use this option since your timesheets should be doing this for you.

the value in this is that in some projects the PM may know based on conversations that all their tasks are complete on schedule up through a given date. This option would be good for those situations. The difference between the two suboptions is that the first one makes the task complete up to the date specified. The 2nd one only edits the % complete if the task finish is before the specified date (and then only changes it to 100%).

In my experience neither of these two are very common.

What would be common though for your PMs is the other options on that same dialog.

So lets imagine your resources have done their timesheets and entered their actual work and their remaining work estimates for the tasks on your project. You review and accept the updates and it updates the tasks on your project.

Then you would set the Status date of your project to equal the last day of your timesheet period for which you just approved updates.

Then you would click Update project. instead of the first set of options you would pick "reschedule uncompleted work to start after" it would default the date to the status date of the project.

Then you click OK.

This would then take any unfinished portions of tasks (in case your resources worked slower than scheduled or if they did not work on some tasks that were scheduled to be worked 'last' week) and move those unfinished portions out so that they start AFTER the status date.

This is a key part of keeping your project up to date.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

• Proposed as answer by Kashif Nizam Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Grady Byram Monday, February 11, 2013 8:29 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:44 AM

All replies

• First off, No, if you are using SEM mode in 2010 you would not likely want to use this option since your timesheets should be doing this for you.

the value in this is that in some projects the PM may know based on conversations that all their tasks are complete on schedule up through a given date. This option would be good for those situations. The difference between the two suboptions is that the first one makes the task complete up to the date specified. The 2nd one only edits the % complete if the task finish is before the specified date (and then only changes it to 100%).

In my experience neither of these two are very common.

What would be common though for your PMs is the other options on that same dialog.

So lets imagine your resources have done their timesheets and entered their actual work and their remaining work estimates for the tasks on your project. You review and accept the updates and it updates the tasks on your project.

Then you would set the Status date of your project to equal the last day of your timesheet period for which you just approved updates.

Then you would click Update project. instead of the first set of options you would pick "reschedule uncompleted work to start after" it would default the date to the status date of the project.

Then you click OK.

This would then take any unfinished portions of tasks (in case your resources worked slower than scheduled or if they did not work on some tasks that were scheduled to be worked 'last' week) and move those unfinished portions out so that they start AFTER the status date.

This is a key part of keeping your project up to date.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

• Proposed as answer by Kashif Nizam Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Grady Byram Monday, February 11, 2013 8:29 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:44 AM
  • Thanks Brian.
    Monday, February 11, 2013 8:29 PM