none
MDT always fail to install Win 10 on LENOVO P51 Kaby Lake and NVMe RRS feed

• Question

• I' can't install Win 10 on LENOVO P51 with MDT 8443, latest adk and Win 10 PE contain all drivers downloaded from Lenovo Site. 

The process fail always with:

Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005

Failed to run the action: Install Operating System.

Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005

Appreciate anyone who can help me.

Monday, September 11, 2017 9:26 AM

All replies

• After Deployment fails press F8 and format the disk:

Diskpart
    Select disk 0
    clean
    Create partition primary
    Format FS ntfs quick
    Select partition 1
    Active
    Assign letter=c
    Exit

If this fails. 

Import the hdc/scsi driver into the boot driver folder and recreate the boot.iso!

Afterwards import the new boot.iso in WDS

Bis dann, Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft dann markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

• Edited by tonibert Monday, September 11, 2017 3:21 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 10:20 AM
  • 8004005 is a generic error code. Could you post the screenshot of the Failure Summary screen here? Contents of the BDD.log would also help.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, September 11, 2017 10:42 AM
  • I tried your diskpart sequence but nothing and all drivers are present on boot.iso.
    Monday, September 11, 2017 4:02 PM
  • What means nothing?If it fails  ,you need the correct driver to format the disc

Driver

Download the discdriver and then add these driver into the boot.wim

Look 24:00Min

Bis dann, Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft dann markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

• Edited by tonibert Monday, September 11, 2017 4:50 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 4:24 PM
  • I tried your diskpart sequence but nothing and all drivers are present on boot.iso.

Did you regenerate your boot image after adding WinPE drivers?

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, September 11, 2017 4:41 PM
  • We don't have a SCCM server, we only use MDT and WDS for deployment windows 10 and WIN PE boot image is created using MDT and importing the drivers that I downloaded and imported into our MDT server, I have already regenerated the .iso image, in other types of lenovo computers the deployment works fine even in the new P320 workstations and L470 laptop.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:04 AM
  • OK,

after regenerate the Boot.iso :

Import the new Boot.iso(x64) into your WDS.

• Edited by tonibert Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:22 AM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Yes, this is a normal activity for me, I just replaced the image and restarted the WDS server, but the problem still present. I can't upload image because I use a new account and the forum block me.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:33 AM
  • Could you upload your BDD.log to OneDrive or a similair file sharing service?

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:07 AM
  • yes, this is the onedrive link to the BDD.log

https://ferretti-my.sharepoint.com/personal/ruggero_rossi_ferrettigroup_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=014b26495e30f4765abba6deed6eb278c&authkey=AaobMGdVV7_uR0-4uCbpTxk&expiration=2017-12-11T11%3a37%3a45.000Z

this link is the image of the error:

https://ferretti-my.sharepoint.com/personal/ruggero_rossi_ferrettigroup_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=03d155217fb0e4caa9218d31a7a316886&authkey=ATjt0CHC3j5-s_JdF9k9oeE&expiration=2017-12-11T12%3a22%3a36.000Z

SMTSLOG:

https://ferretti-my.sharepoint.com/personal/ruggero_rossi_ferrettigroup_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=05347c0f1186c4cce93bf258909bdbb8a&authkey=ARw51fvFTvBQ0HcWa9USrYM&expiration=2017-12-11T15%3a09%3a02.000Z

• Edited by Roger Rossi Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:39 AM
  • At the first glance there is no reason why Restart Computer task should fail. It could be caused by the size of the scratch space (although latest WinPE should allocate that dynamically). However, I am seeing a different issue in your log file: it takkes ~ 10 minutes to perform PnP driver detection vs. your deployment share. Just out of curiosity, how are you managing your drivers? There are different approachs, my favorite is "total control": https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Now, I did not have time to do a closer examination of your log file, but you aren't, by any chance, performing a simple PnP ID detection based method to detect and install drivers in your task sequence? Since there are multiple vendors involved, the testing and compatibility matrix between each model cannot be guaranteed if your base detection on PnP only. Additionally, it just takes longer to parse all drivers and find ones that might fit your HW.

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:57 PM
  • I used this solution only for a test, because I was wondering if the problem was caused by a missing driver. But I repeat many other Lenovo models, like the P50, P320, L470 and L460, all working properly through the WDS. I have problem only on this model, I don't understand if it's a BIOS problem or other things that I don't know.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:28 AM
  • It is tough to say as I see no indications in the logs aside from the return code. Assuming you are using standard restart computer task from MDT, I would clean up driver repository first and try again. 

Additionally, you could rebuild your WinPE driver repository as illustrated in the link I posted above using Lenovo WinPE driver pack. Make sure that only WinPE drivers are included in your boot image. Aside from making the boot image smaller, this will also ensure, that you shouldn't be running into potential storage access issues: https://support.lenovo.com/de/de/solutions/ht074984

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:38 AM
  • I tried again with your tips, but unfortunately the problem continues.

This is the link of the new SMSTSLOG:

https://ferretti-my.sharepoint.com/personal/ruggero_rossi_ferrettigroup_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=04a88a527dc3d42ae9c7794ce6ae8d5c2&authkey=AQxIu_9KMNEmnuUjtIOqZH8&expiration=2017-12-12T14%3a24%3a03.000Z

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:33 PM