none
MS Project 365 Baseline start vs Start RRS feed

• Question

• I have read the comments regarding the start date changing once the actual start is added and that the baseline start should be used to track the original planned date.  So my question, do I then end up with three start columns (start-planned, start-baseline and start-actual)?  I want to be able to track how much slippage has occurred from plan to actual, what is the best way to show this in the data?

OxfordAlain

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:24 PM

Answers

• OxfordAlain --

Yes, you are correct about negative variance, my friend.  Positive variance means that the task is either late or over budget on work or cost.  Negative variance means the task is early or is under budget on work or cost.  There are actually five types of variance that are tracked and calculated in Microsoft Project:

• Start Variance
    • Finish Variance
    • Duration Variance
    • Work Variance
    • Cost Variance

You can see the Start and Finish Variance columns in the Variance table.  You can see the Work Variance column in the Work table.  You can see the Cost Variance column in the Cost table.  There is no default table, however, that shows Duration variance.  Because there is no table for this, you can either insert the Duration Variance column in the table of your choice, or you can create a new table for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:33 PM

All replies

• OxfordAlain --

Yes, you will essentially end up with there columns in your project:  Start, Baseline Start, and Actual Start.  But not to worry.  To know how much date slippage has occurred in your project, Microsoft Project includes a Variance table that will show you this information.  If you have saved a Baseline for your project, Microsoft Project will show you the date slippage in the Start Variance and Finish Variance columns.

To use this table, first apply the Tracking Gantt view, which will visually display task slippage.  In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Tables pick list button and select the Variance table.  Drag your split bar over to the right so that you can see the Start Variance and Finish Variance columns.  If you see a positive value in either column, that means the task has slipped, either on its original Start date or original Finish date.

Does that make sense?  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Dale,

Thank you very much.  I was able to apply the table variance and see the positive and negative values.  For clarification the negative value indicates the start or finish was ahead of the planned date and the positive value is beyond the planned date.  What then is the "Work Variance" column showing?

OxfordAlain

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:19 PM
  • OxfordAlain --

Yes, you are correct about negative variance, my friend.  Positive variance means that the task is either late or over budget on work or cost.  Negative variance means the task is early or is under budget on work or cost.  There are actually five types of variance that are tracked and calculated in Microsoft Project:

• Start Variance
    • Finish Variance
    • Duration Variance
    • Work Variance
    • Cost Variance

You can see the Start and Finish Variance columns in the Variance table.  You can see the Work Variance column in the Work table.  You can see the Cost Variance column in the Cost table.  There is no default table, however, that shows Duration variance.  Because there is no table for this, you can either insert the Duration Variance column in the table of your choice, or you can create a new table for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:33 PM
  • OxfordAlain --

If one of my replies answered your question, would you kindly mark the reply as the answer to your question?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:49 PM
  • OxfordAlan,

Work variance is the difference between work and baseline work.  If you are ever unsure of what a column means, just hover over it and read the pop-up. 

or use the help tab and type in your question.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:54 AM