none
Ratings and ranking — do we really need them? RRS feed

• General discussion

• The discussion was started at TN Wiki Feature Requests and I think we'd better discuss this separately.

Tony thinks ratings are confusing and unnecessary so we'd rather remove this feature completely.

Remove the ratings control on wiki pages. It is unclear what is being rated (which version of the article, for example) and is not actionable. Also remove the "Highest rated" filter on search results.

Ed said there could be good reasons to keep that feature so we can think about how to improve it and make it more clear.

Or if we don't want to remove the ratings (maybe people like them), then we should at least add a notification that tells raters to leave a comment about what they liked or what needs improvement. In other words, if we have ratings, we should use them for more useful means.

So what do the others think?

I personally never use features like this. I like a binary voting system though. Just as it is on forums now (or on Microsoft Connect website). You can vote for a post if you find it helpful.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:41 PM

All replies

• We also have a feature that somebody can mark an article as “Favorite content”. I suppose this should somehow influence the rating of the article. E.g. when one marks an article as favorite this counts as +3 vote or something like this.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:01 PM
  • I think it might be interesting to list "community favorites" which show the top 10 articles that have been favorited the most.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:38 PM