none
UWF locked C: and getting Event 136 (The default transaction resource manager on volume C: encountered an error while starting and its metadata was reset.) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is starting to concern me greatly.  Our systems are running LTSC 2019 version and entire C: partition is UWF locked, no exceptions.  Systems are power-cycled with a power switch about once a day.

I started to notice Event 136 in System Events.  "The default transaction resource manager on volume C: encountered an error while starting and its metadata was reset.  The data contains the error code.".

Did lots of research and it all talks about file system being corrupt.  How's this possible?  I launched an overnight cycle test on  a cleanly re-imaged system and sure enough there was one instance of this event.

Does it mean Windows is not actually locked by UWF and it's just a fancy term / smoke screen?

Please advice.

Thank you!

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on those error messages that you provided, regarding to Event ID 136 from NTFS, please refer to the following article. There are some similar issue, will help you solve this issue.

Event ID: 136 Source: ntfs

http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-136-source-ntfs-eventno-10031-phase-1.htm

Regarding to Event ID 136 from NTFS, in many situations, this event indicates a physical problem with the hard disk. It is recommended to ensure that all the data on that drive is backed-up and protected against possible disk failure.

For more information, you can also refer to:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/ddc821d0-c4b3-458e-9185-a6aff1632b4a/event-ids-136-and-137-0x80000000000000-in-system-log-on-windows-2008-r2-server-exchange-2010-in?forum=winservergen

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, March 16, 2020 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Based on those error messages that you provided, regarding to Event ID 136 from NTFS, please refer to the following article. There are some similar issue, will help you solve this issue.

Event ID: 136 Source: ntfs

Regarding to Event ID 136 from NTFS, in many situations, this event indicates a physical problem with the hard disk. It is recommended to ensure that all the data on that drive is backed-up and protected against possible disk failure.

For more information, you can also refer to:

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Daniel

I appreciate your response but this is a generic type of response.  I specifically asked how this is even possible with UWF enabled on the entire C: partition with Windows.  So the first reference it not even applicable, unless UWF is not actually doing what it's supposed to do.

Monday, March 16, 2020 12:59 PM