none
WBADMIN - Access denied when carrying out backup operations from commandline

Question

• Hi,

We have a situation while using WBADMIN in a scheduled task. We have a user, called Admin that belongs to the Domain Administrators. There's a task that performs a backup to a USB hard disk, defined in the Scheduled Tasks.

This is the command line

wbadmin start backup -BackupTarget:F: -include:C:, E: -allcriticall -SystemState -quiet

The operating system is Windows Server 2012.

The task is set to run with highest privileges and regardless if the user is logged on or not.

The task doesn't execute, however the command line does run if we run CMD as Administrator and execute the above command.

How can we solve this?

Best Regards,

Nélio Abreu

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, the account your used is domain admin? And when running CMD as Administrator, it works, right?

Please try to log on as the account "Administrator" directly to do the task. Not just the member of domain admin.

If it still doesn't work.  Please also temporarily disable UAC to do a check.

In addition, maybe you could check the article below.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Access+Denied+error+when+creating+a+scheduled+task

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 29, 2018 7:27 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Best Regards,

Mary

Monday, July 2, 2018 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

I have tested with Administrator and I'm face with the same problem.

The account control is disable in Administrator as well as Admin.

Under Administrator, if I run a CMD (without Administrator privileges) and run

wbadmin start backup -Targetbackup:F: -Include:C:,E: -quiet the command runs ok. I have removed -allcritical and -systemstate just for testing purposes.

Under Admin I must run CMD as Administrator in order to run the above command.

In both situations the task is set to run with highest privileges with Administrator account, selected Windows 2012 Server Essentials (which is the OS installed in the server). I have tested with Admin, Administrator and System. Both produce the same results.

Can't figure out what i't doesn't run.

Waiting for a reply.

Nélio Abreu

Monday, July 9, 2018 8:20 AM
  • Hi,I forgot to mention that I have this task created in order to run a backup to a USB disk, but I also have an automatic backup schedule to run to an ISCSI volume setup in a Network Storage. The automatic backup, set under WbAdmin, runs every day at 22:00. The copy to the USB disk is set to run at 03:00. I think this has no interference, since I can run the command manually at DOS prompt.

Best Regards,

Nélio Abreu

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:12 AM
  • Hi,I include the errors collected from WBADMIN upon failure:

The hard disk is new, freshly formatted under Windows Server 2012.

Waiting for your reply.

Best Regards.

Nélio Abreu

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:31 PM
  • Hi,

If you not choose backup to F drive, try to directly backup to another drive, same results?

Best Regards,

Mary

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:28 AM
  • Hi,

Through a DOS CMD window, as Administrator, I can perform the backup in command line, issuing the command

wbadmin start backup -BackupTarget:F: -include:C:, E: -allcriticall -SystemState -quiet

and it carries on successfully to drive F:, but in a Scheduled task it doesn't.I have also move the above command into a BAT file, created a new schedule task to run the BAT file with highest privileges and permissions. The BAT run's according to history but the above command inside it, doesn't.

Unfortunately F: is the only drive I have. The other drives present are from the server. Drive I is an ISCSI drive, which holds the daily backups performed by WBADMIN gui that runs ok.

To drive F: I have no luck. I needed to have a weekly backup done to drive F: as a second backup measure.

Any further suggestions  I would appreciate.

Best Regards.

Nélio Abreu

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:22 AM