Exchange Management Pack 6.0.6702 to upgrade to 6.0.6741 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have Exchange Management Pack 6.0.6702 and would like to upgrade to 6.0.6741

- Which solution do I want to choose?

- Do you think I need to keep an historic of the data?

- As the first option is easier it seems to be the way I will got BUT:
    . What will happen to the actual Override Management Packs Exchange? Do I need to backup them and restore them if possible?
    . What will happen to the actual Custom Managerment Packs for Exchange? Should I export them and reimport them?
    . What will happen to the Exchange 2007 Client Access Server Monitoring Management Pack Templates? Should I save them and restore them?
    . What will happen to the Exchange 2007 Intra-Organization Mail-Flow Monitoirng Management Pack Templates? Should I save them and restore them?

Anything else to think about?

Thanks,
    Dom

Delete the previously released, converted management pack. Then import the native Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack.

The simplest approach. You delete the converted Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack and then import the native Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack. 

In this scenario, you lose all the historical data of the converted management pack, including reporting data.

Keep the previously released, converted management pack and use a second management group and multi-homing for the new, native management pack.

You keep the history from the converted management pack, including reporting data.

A more complex approach with the overhead of setting up a second management group for the native management pack and multi-homing the Exchange 2007 agents to report to both management groups. Disable the Exchange 2007 synthetic transactions from one of the management groups because synthetic transactions consume CPU, disk IO, and memory resources on the Exchange 2007 servers. Eventually, you should disable the converted management pack synthetic transactions because the native management pack synthetic transactions use fewer resources on the Exchange 2007 servers.

Keep the previously released, converted management pack and plan a gradual introduction of the new, native management pack by enabling server role discoveries on a server-by-server basis.

You keep the history from the converted management pack, including reporting data. There is less complexity because you only use one management group.

An increasingly complex end-to-end migration solution because, although you avoid using a second management group, you incur management overhead on a server-by-server basis to enable server role discoveries of the native management pack. As you enable servers to be discovered by the native management pack, you must disable the discoveries for the same servers in the converted management pack. There is additional administrative overhead to run the Operations Manager Remove-disabledMonitoringObject cmdlet to remove the converted management packs objects from the management group in order to avoid running synthetic transactions from both management packs at the same time.

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 Support
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:40 PM

Answers

• Assuming you are on Operations Manager 2007 R2 you should use 6.0.6702.0 "Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack for SYstem Center Operations Manager 2007 R2".   The  6.0.6741.0 "Exchange Server 2007 Operations Manager 2007 Sp1" should only be used if you are on Operations Manager 2007 Sp1.  Operations Manager R2 supported a richer feature set that the 6702 management pack takes advantage.  The 6741 management pack is a simplified version of the Exchange management pack to match the Operations Manager Sp1 feature set.   

The upgrade instructions you are refering to are if you are moving from the converted Exchange Management to native.  But if you have 6702 imported you are already on the latest version of the native and don't need to change anything.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by S. Halsey Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:50 PM

All replies

• You should look at the release notes/guide for the newly released MP and decide if the improvements are worth the loss of data.  If the MP is working for you now, and the improvements are not needed, then just stick it out until you move to Exchange 2010.  At least this is how I would go about it.  The over ride and custom MP's can be exported, then you can modify the manifest to reference the new Exchange MP, that shouldn't be an issue.  As for the templates, I wouldn't know since we don't use synthetic transactions and we have a limited implementation of 2007.

Ake Petterson or Steven Hasely can probably provide you with more guidance.  However, I feel that MSFT laid it out there in the guide as you provided, so you have to make the choice.  As far as historical data, you could run and dump several reports so that you would at least have the data to refer too later.
    Regards, Blake Email: mengottohotmail.com Blog: http//discussitnow.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Hi Blake,

Excellent info.

I choose not to keep the bistorical data.
    Let me check first for the reports as you advised me as it might be a refernce later on.

I will review how to change the reference in the Custom MPs.

I will wait a little bit more to have info for the templates as we have a lot ...

Thanks
    Dom
    System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 Support
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:43 PM

• Assuming you are on Operations Manager 2007 R2 you should use 6.0.6702.0 "Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack for SYstem Center Operations Manager 2007 R2".   The  6.0.6741.0 "Exchange Server 2007 Operations Manager 2007 Sp1" should only be used if you are on Operations Manager 2007 Sp1.  Operations Manager R2 supported a richer feature set that the 6702 management pack takes advantage.  The 6741 management pack is a simplified version of the Exchange management pack to match the Operations Manager Sp1 feature set.   

The upgrade instructions you are refering to are if you are moving from the converted Exchange Management to native.  But if you have 6702 imported you are already on the latest version of the native and don't need to change anything.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by S. Halsey Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Hi Steve,

that's it thanks a lot.

I have System Center Operation Manager R2 6.1.7221.0 I have Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 version 6.0.6702.0. installed.

So I will not install 6.0.6741 as said.

Thanks,
    Dom

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:29 PM