No Microphone when VDI using RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is Microphone support / available when i'm connect to Windows 7 and Windows XP from VDI Using RDS?

I can get speaker sound but when click on Microphone, it mentioned No audio detected.

Pls advise

laiys
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First get audio recording working with a direct RDP connection to a VM, then go ahead and work on it working via RDWeb/RD Virtualization Host, if that is what you are using.

Connecting to a XP Pro VM is not going to work, since XP does not support audio recording redirection.

When connecting to a Windows 7 Enterprise VM (or physical PC, does not matter), please make sure that audio recording is enabled at the host.  First check the registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

fDisableAudioCapture     REG_DWORD     0x00000000

Next check that it is enabled in any group policy that is applicable to the VM.  The GP setting is here:

Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Remote Desktop Services \ Remote Desktop Session Host \ Device and Resource Redirection

Allow audio recording redirection     Enabled

Finally when you are connecting to the Windows 7 Enterprise make sure you have enabled remote audio recording.  Of course your local PC must have a microphone installed.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

There are several settings that control if Remote Audio Capture is enabled or disabled.

1. The Client License. If the Client is not Pro/Ent/universal, Remote Audio Capture is not available.

2. A GPO exists in order to get this feature enabled or disabled.
    - Computer configuration, administrative templates, windows components, remote desktop services, device and resource redirection.

Reading the explanation, when this policy is not configured, Server 2008 does not allow audio and and video playback redirection by default.
    However, Client Version allow by default, unless configured as disabled. So there is no need to configure this policy on windows 7 VDI machine to get this working. Configuration is only necessary if you wish to disable this feature in Windows 7.
    This policy (as any other GPO) is not modifying registry keys outside Software\Policies

3. Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp fDisableAudioCapture REG_DWORD
    I can confirm that Ultimate has a setting of 0 (does not actively disable), but Enterprise Edition has a value of 1 ( disable this feature).
    That’s a decision that has been made to meet most business needs.

To determine how Remote Audio Capture is enabled, and the logic is as follows:

If any of the 3 possible settings above, (License, GPO, RegKey) disable this feature, it remains disabled.

So the correct thing to do in your environment is ensure that the Registry Value fDisableAudioCapture is NULL. There are various methods to do so, one is GP Preferences.

For more information, please refer to the KB article 2020918:

<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2020918>

Wilson Jia

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 3, 2010 2:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Microphone support is available when connecting to a Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise edition or Windows Server 2008 R2.  You must use Remote Desktop Client 7 or higher on the client PC, and enable audio recording on both the client and host.

Audio recording/microphone is not supported when the OS you are connecting to is running XP.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lai Yoong SengMVP Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:33 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

I got XP Professional and Win 7 Ent running in the VM. Besides that, I'm testing using Win 7 Ultimate and Windows Server 2008 r2. Still no mic.

Besides that, i also test using Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. However still no microphone. Any idea?

besides than VDI using RDS, i even tried remote desktop directly to the VM. On RDP File, i even select Remote Audio Playback and remote Audio Recording. The Server which host the VM, dont have microphone. Anyway, that's why when RDP it relies on the client machine to redirect the audio and recording. Audio is available and can play audio. Missing is microphone and can't record. :(

laiys
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

First get audio recording working with a direct RDP connection to a VM, then go ahead and work on it working via RDWeb/RD Virtualization Host, if that is what you are using.

Connecting to a XP Pro VM is not going to work, since XP does not support audio recording redirection.

When connecting to a Windows 7 Enterprise VM (or physical PC, does not matter), please make sure that audio recording is enabled at the host.  First check the registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

fDisableAudioCapture     REG_DWORD     0x00000000

Next check that it is enabled in any group policy that is applicable to the VM.  The GP setting is here:

Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Remote Desktop Services \ Remote Desktop Session Host \ Device and Resource Redirection

Allow audio recording redirection     Enabled

Finally when you are connecting to the Windows 7 Enterprise make sure you have enabled remote audio recording.  Of course your local PC must have a microphone installed.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

There are several settings that control if Remote Audio Capture is enabled or disabled.

1. The Client License. If the Client is not Pro/Ent/universal, Remote Audio Capture is not available.

2. A GPO exists in order to get this feature enabled or disabled.
    - Computer configuration, administrative templates, windows components, remote desktop services, device and resource redirection.

Reading the explanation, when this policy is not configured, Server 2008 does not allow audio and and video playback redirection by default.
    However, Client Version allow by default, unless configured as disabled. So there is no need to configure this policy on windows 7 VDI machine to get this working. Configuration is only necessary if you wish to disable this feature in Windows 7.
    This policy (as any other GPO) is not modifying registry keys outside Software\Policies

3. Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp fDisableAudioCapture REG_DWORD
    I can confirm that Ultimate has a setting of 0 (does not actively disable), but Enterprise Edition has a value of 1 ( disable this feature).
    That’s a decision that has been made to meet most business needs.

To determine how Remote Audio Capture is enabled, and the logic is as follows:

If any of the 3 possible settings above, (License, GPO, RegKey) disable this feature, it remains disabled.

So the correct thing to do in your environment is ensure that the Registry Value fDisableAudioCapture is NULL. There are various methods to do so, one is GP Preferences.

For more information, please refer to the KB article 2020918:

<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2020918>

Wilson Jia

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 3, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Hi TP and Wilson,

When test from direct rdp using Windows 7 to Win7 VM is working fine based on above suggestion. Here is my finding

a) Win7 to Win7 VM - Audio and Recording -OK

b) Win7 to Win XP (with RDC 7)- Audio ok but recording not detected.

c) WinXP+SP3(with RDC 7) to Winxp + SP3 (with RDC 7) - Audio ok but recording not detected.

d) WinXP with SP3 (with RDC7) to Win7 - Audio and Recording -OK

Can i conclude that WinXP VM will not have Audio Recording redirect even with RDC7 installed.

Pls advise. Thanks

laiys
    Friday, September 3, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hi,

As I said twice already above, when connecting to XP (VM or physical) audio recording is not supported.  The destination OS must be Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate or Windows Server 2008 R2.

Are you saying that you are unable to connect from XP Embedded with RDC 7 to a Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate VM and have audio recording work?  If yes, is there a valid microphone device driver installed and working on the thin client machine?  Have you contacted the manufacturer of the thin client and asked if microphone is supported?

Perhaps a needed subcomponent is not installed in the XPE image.  The manufacturer of the thin client decides what is part of the OS image.

Thanks.

-TP

Friday, September 3, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Hi Tp,

Just need to reconfirm before making any final conclusion. For XP Embedded thin client, i need to reimage the thin client to support RDC7 before testing further. 

Based on here, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/08/21/remote-desktop-connection-7-for-windows-7-windows-xp-windows-vista.aspx, i don't think XP Embedded which not running RDC 7 will able to get Audio Recording redirection.

Thank for the feedback

laiys
    Friday, September 3, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

You need RDC 7 to be installed on your XP Embedded for it to work.  Recently someone was having a problem (different than yours) and I suggested they install RDC 7 on their Windows Embedded 2009 thin clients.  They were able to install it.  Here is the download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4895bf6-f022-4b4c-8852-dd28978f72d2

NOTE: I have not tested audio recording from an XP Embedded thin client with RDC 7 connecting to Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate or Server 2008 R2.  I believe it should work as long as you have RDC 7 installed, however, as a mentioned before sometimes a particular manufacturer's image of XPE can prevent things from working.

Thanks.

-TP

Friday, September 3, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Hi laiys,

Thanks for the link.  I had forgot about that.

That is the correct way to add RDC 7 to the image.

I think as soon as you add it to your image the audio recording will work.

-TP

Friday, September 3, 2010 8:55 PM