please help me ( I'm frustrated ) no sound in my laptop RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a dell laptop 6400 with preinstalled windows vista ( and soundcard is sigmatel 9200 ) . because i didn’t like vista i installed xp pro instead

everything is fine with xp but there was no sound. I found out that there is no sound card driver installed and when i search for sound in device manager i get three "base device" errors, one of them was a PCI device error.

i downloaded driver from Dell web site but didin't work . I tried the driver CD that came with Vista.

Please help me please help me

Thanks in advance

Al

Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

I performed a search and found the drivers for Windows XP (though I think you may have tried them):

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=3&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400%2FE1505&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en

Based on my experience, the problem you described is quite possibly related to the error in driver or device. For further support on this issue, please contact DELL and report that!

Besides, I’m sorry to hear that you don’t like Windows Vista. Could you tell me why? If you find some problems or unsatisfying features in using Windows Vista, please just post them in this forum. We’re happy to help you.

Thanks!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:40 AM

All replies

• I found this with a simple search, should work for your configuration.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?pageindex=1&siteid=17&postid=472899&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:42 AM
  •  

Jeff thank you very much , i'm happy that there are people who are ready to help others

regarding the post above it didn't work for me ...someone told me that if you buy a new laptop with vista preintalled you can't find drivers for operating sysstem except the one that came with the laptop ..even ( sigmatel wereb site does not provide support for xp driver you feel that all of tthem are against you and want you to use only vista .

so what can i do ?

Sunday, November 18, 2007 12:47 PM
  • If neither Dell nor SigmaTel has written XP drivers for that audio chipset then, unless you can find some other workaround online, you are probably stuck with no sound.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting!

I performed a search and found the drivers for Windows XP (though I think you may have tried them):

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=3&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400%2FE1505&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en

Based on my experience, the problem you described is quite possibly related to the error in driver or device. For further support on this issue, please contact DELL and report that!

Besides, I’m sorry to hear that you don’t like Windows Vista. Could you tell me why? If you find some problems or unsatisfying features in using Windows Vista, please just post them in this forum. We’re happy to help you.

Thanks!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:40 AM
  • Hi Al,

I hope you have managed to fix your problem by now, if not this should be your solution. I had the same problem a few days ago.

You have to install all the drivers in this EXACT order, dont ask cause i have no idea Smile

It worked for me so i am confident it will work for you. All these drivers are on DELL's webpage under drivers for inpiron 6400.

Cheers
    Sean

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Hello Sean,

Thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:11 AM
  • I can give lots of reasons I don't like vista!

1.When I buy a new car,it better work when I drive it off the lot! I don't wait months for a fix! If Bill wants to make money thats fine but put out an os that works & then send his profits to the third world countries if he wants to. It would be nice if he gave some of it back to the people that made it for him though.

2.Vista is a hog & it's slow.

3.Definitely no benefits over xp!

4.Vista's security package & parental control that Bill tried to brag about is a joke! And I'm being nice when I just say it's a "joke".

5.As far as I'm concerned vista is what the ME edition was. ME was a glorified 98 os that never did work worth a damn & vista is glorified xp that doesn't work worth a damn either.

6.Bill should never have taken xp away & forced people to buy vista until he had a workable & useable os.

7.Thank God there are operating systems that microsoft doesn't have it's fingers on yet! Linux, is my choice from now on!

8.Do I need to keep going?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:32 PM