none
Deploying Software to Windows 10

Question

• I've deployed software to a workstation as required and in the InTune interface the device shows the software installation status shows "waiting for install status". How can I force this software to install? Or is there somewhere I can go on the workstation to see if it's waiting on something?
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 1:33 PM

All replies

• Hi phretbuzz,

Based on my investigation, if we already selected Required when assigning app, it should be installed on devices in the selected groups automatically. If the app isn’t installed correctly, we can monitor app installation status by Managed Apps pane in the Intune portal. Please locate to Dashboard->Troubleshoot-> click Select users with this device-> find device->select Managed Apps-> find specific app and Installation Status will be displayed.

Also, if the app fails to be installed finally, we can also collect deeper logs by clicking the Collect logs option on the Installation details blade.

To get more information, we can refer to the following article:

Troubleshoot app installation issues

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/troubleshoot-app-install

Best regards,

Cici Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:23 AM
  • If you select the Device in the Intune portal you can click on Sync to force the device to checkin with Intune.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/device-sync
    The Sync device action forces the selected device to immediately check in with Intune. When a device checks in, it immediately receives any pending actions or policies that have been assigned to it. This feature can help you immediately validate and troubleshoot policies you’ve assigned, without waiting for the next scheduled check-in.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:10 AM
  • This is not deployed to users this is deployed to a group with workstations. The issue is the app showing waiting for install status. It hasn't even tried and failed. And the collect logs option is grayed out so I can't review anything. How do I review this issue?

And clicking on the sync option has been done from both sides.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Hi phretbuzz,

Please also check the following path in the client to see if there are any logs generated:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Logs

Reference:https://www.anoopcnair.com/intune-win32-app-troubleshooting/

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

If there is still no logs generated, it seems that the app installation already stuck. At such situation, we suggest you assign this app to device again and change the Assignment to Uninstall, after being deployed successfully. Assign it again with the assignment type Required.

By the way, may I know which type of software we are deploying? Is it Win32 app or Windows Store app?

Best regards,

Cici Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 17, 2019 3:17 AM
  • I looked for them several days ago and that folder isn't on the workstation. I looked at a workstation that had software installed and the folder is there. It has reviewed the apps because it knows that Office is already installed. I know it's syncing, I've done it from both sides. This app is Cisco Amp and it's a Win32.

That's funny that you say this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties. I know what TechNet is and it's a very helpful resource. However Microsoft should have a warranty on Intune, which is basically competing with google now. I've done mobile phone deployments which I think works pretty well. Windows 10... they need to work on making better. Trust me I've followed the evolution of Intune and it was first brought in to work with those mobile laptops to meet a need SCCM did but not great. It was there but there weren't a lot of seats in that space. They changed the model the last couple years and really focused around to be more mobile phone driven. If they are going to compete with google they need to make this better. Following Microsoft's normal path this is typical and they will have a mature product, much like O365.

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:16 PM
  • I looked for them several days ago and that folder isn't on the workstation. I looked at a workstation that had software installed and the folder is there. It has reviewed the apps because it knows that Office is already installed. I know it's syncing, I've done it from both sides. This app is Cisco Amp and it's a Win32.

Have you confirmed that the Windows 10 device meets the prerequisites? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/apps-win32-app-management#prerequisites
    Saturday, May 18, 2019 8:05 AM