best practice for employee directory, not all employees are computer users RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to make an employee directory with names, pictures, phone extension, etc. I was also planning to use this as as a lookup column in several other custom lists, to track other information related to that employee.

I am wondering, however, if it would be better to use SharePoint's built-in user profiles (ours sync with Active Directory). The problem is that not all of our employees are computer users, and often an employee that hasn't been a computer user will need an account created.

Is making a custom list the best way to go, or is there some way that I can use SharePoint's built in user profiles? I'm using SharePoint 2007.

• Edited by Gabtrat Friday, August 24, 2012 8:26 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 8:13 PM

Answers

• I ended up creating a seperate custom list on the root of our sharepoint site as an Employee Directory with photos and other info.

Then I went to Site Actions -->Site columsn -->Create

Then create a lookup column that points to the employee names in the directory.

Then for any list on the site go to Settings-->"Add from existing site columns" and add your lookup column. It will stay up to date based on the Employee Directory.

• Marked as answer by Gabtrat Friday, August 31, 2012 3:23 PM
    • Edited by Gabtrat Friday, August 31, 2012 3:23 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 3:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest you to implement profile import from AD. To filter out these users in your connection string apply a filter as user = computer user. 

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Thanks for the response Rahul. Our SharePoint profiles do sync with active directory. My problem is what to do with employees that are NOT computer users.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 1:21 PM
  • I ended up creating a seperate custom list on the root of our sharepoint site as an Employee Directory with photos and other info.

Then I went to Site Actions -->Site columsn -->Create

Then create a lookup column that points to the employee names in the directory.

Then for any list on the site go to Settings-->"Add from existing site columns" and add your lookup column. It will stay up to date based on the Employee Directory.

• Marked as answer by Gabtrat Friday, August 31, 2012 3:23 PM
    • Edited by Gabtrat Friday, August 31, 2012 3:23 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 3:23 PM