Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file (.ost) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed Outlook 2013 on 4 x 2012 R2 RDS Session Host servers and have configured GPO settings so mail is cached to OST files on each session host servers.

As users roam from one RDS Session host server to another they cache their mail to the ost file stored on the RDS host they are connected to at that time.  However every now and again when users start Outlook they get the following prompt:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Outlook
    Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file (.ost). Exit Outlook, delete the file, and restart Outlook. A new file will be automatically created the next time you initiate a send/receive.
    OK   

I can take the easy option and bin the ost file but I need to know how Outlook gets into this state in the first place.

Is their a age limit on a ost file, if not used in X number of days start again option?

Any advice would be great, if I can identify why Outlook does this I maybe able to work out how to stop it happening. 

Regards

Carl

Monday, November 2, 2015 11:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Carl,

Is their a age limit on a ost file, if not used in X number of days start again option?

Not as far as I know.

Since I am not familiar with Outlook, I cannot say for sure that how this message was generated.

However, when it re-occurs, you may try to use Process Monitor to capture real-time thread activities to see whether any clues can be found.

Process Monitor v3.2

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

In addition, here is a dedicated Outlook forum below for you if further assistance is required.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?forum=outlook

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, November 30, 2015 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:22 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:01 AM