none
SBS2011 - Windows Server Backup fails to start

Question

• In the SBS Console it reports 'Not available' on the right hand indicator

When I try to run Windows Server Backup from the start menu it tries then reports back...

"A fatal error occurred during a Windows Server Backup snap-in (Wbadmin.msc) operation.

Close Wbadmin.msc and then restart it"

I have had issues with permissions on the 'System Volume Information' folder which have now been rectified but when I was looking at that there was a 'Windows Server Backup' folder in there so the issue may be related.

I have uninstalled the backup feature and re-installed it but seems to have made no difference

Any pointers greatly appreciated

Thanks

Daren

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>SBS Console it reports 'Not available' on the right hand indicator
    I am not quite understand about your description. 

Does it mean right click server in SBS Dashboard – Computers and Backup? Or, the right sidebar on SBS Dashboard – Computers and Backup tab? Or, anything else? 

Please provide more information, or, screenshot if possible. 

>When I try to run Windows Server Backup from the start menu it tries then reports back
    Please check to see if KB 2000779 is helpful - Windows Server Backup MMC fails to open:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2000779/windows-server-backup-mmc-fails-to-open

Besides, using “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

If the problem persists, is there any change before this problem happned? Is there any relate event has been logged in Event Viewer? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hey Eve

This is the SBS console I was talking about...

Then this is when I run backup from the start menu...

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Eve

I also have this issue if you think it may be related...

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:22 AM