Adding users from another domain to Shared Services Admin site RRS feed

• Question

• we have an extranet in which we allow people from 2 domains (company and companyext), I am trying to grant allow people from the companyext domain to use a new BDC application, however nobody from the companyext domain shows up in the people picker control for the add users/group window. I have tried to add them to the Shared Service Admin site and they are not available in that people picker either. I have confirmed that i am importing user profiles from both domains. Could someone please tell me what else i should check to investigate the cause of this problem.

Thanks

Dean

Dean MCTS-SQL 2005 Business Intelligence, SharePoint 2010, Configuration

Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Dean,

According to your description, you have imported users from company and companext domain, but you cannot find them in people picker.

Firstly, you should check your connection to the companext domain controller. Please use the nltest diagnostic tools to check the connection to domain controller. Please refer to this document to use this command-line tool to check the connection.

Secondly, you should also check the domain trust relationship between companext and company. The trust relationship is needed if you want to choose users in the people picker.

Thirdly, you should configure the People Picker. By default, People picker will only return users, groups, and claims from the domain on which SharePoint Server is installed. If you want People Picker to return query results from more than one forest or domain, you must either have a two-way trust between the forests or domains, or you must configure People Picker to use an encrypted account and password for a one-way trust between forests and domains. Please read this document(Using stsdmin.exe) to Configure People Picker.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Lambda Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:50 AM