win 7 boots to blank screen only cursor shows up RRS feed

• Question

• Situation, I have a quad core PC with a built in HD200 card and a HD4870 add in card.  I have 3 hard disks, 1 XP, 1 Vista and 1 Win 7 32bit (1 in box at a time).  Put Win 7 disk in to do some work.  System display works properly then, just before the welcome chimes the screen goes blank.  Mouse pointer still shows, but screens 1 and 2 are in reverse order.  When I boot into safe mode w/ network, primary screen (on 4870) works fine in low res (default).  If I boot normal w/ low res w/ default drivers, primary screen comes up fine.  If I raise resolution then the next boot blank screen.  Also Win7 insists on loading 4800 driver IF I do NOT have the video card disabled, but still displaying.  If I change to higher res (catalyst uninstalled) the blank screen issue happens. I have tried catalyst drivers back to 9.8 with no luck.

Long and short low res will boot w/ single display, anything else will blank screen.  I know all components are good because they work with Vista and XP hard disks.  All disks are up to date on patches.

One erata that I keep thinking about, I have both a DVD and a seperate BluRay player in system.  Last time I had 7 up I tried to play a BluRay disk.  I have never installed any BluRay software on 7.  Have seen posts on web where issues were cause by a disk being in player at boot time.  My drives are empty but wonder what the attempt to play a disk might have done.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

I recommend you update the video card driver and BIOS to the latest one to see if it works.

In addition, take these monitors to another computer to check if the same issue happen.

Hope it works.

Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:54 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 3:00 AM

All replies

• Sounds like either explorer.exe isnt starting up or the video drivers are not good! Try download the latest catalyst drivers and run the 4870 alone. Do not use the onboard at all. Ensure that in the BIOS you have specified the Graphics to use a PCIe device.

After booting into Win 7 normally, can you Open Task Manager? If so is explorer.exe displaying under the processes?

If not, when you try start the explorer.exe manually what then happens?

MCP, MCSE, MCDST, MCSA, MCT, MCITP:EA, MCITP:CST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCTS, CBP
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:46 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

I recommend you update the video card driver and BIOS to the latest one to see if it works.

In addition, take these monitors to another computer to check if the same issue happen.

Hope it works.

Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:54 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 3:00 AM