Cannot send email to a distribution list RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Exchange 2003 here.

I have created many contacts in Active Directory from an excel sheet that contained a list of participant from a previous meeting. These participants are external contacts (so they have @gmail, @hotmail,...addresses).

I have created a distribution list, and added as members all these new contacts.

When i send an email to the DL, i receive an NDR for all contacts:

CN=wim.tang@coco.com,OU=AIR,OU=Acme Events,OU=Distribution Lists,OU=Users,OU=Amsterdam,DC=corp,DC=acme,DC=local on 5/2/2012 11:56 AM

The e-mail address could not be found.  Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address.  Check the address and try again.

<corpexch01.corp.acme.local #5.1.0>

What i am doing wrong?

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:27 AM

Answers

• On Wed, 2 May 2012 10:27:50 +0000, Thomas Vit wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello,
    >
    >Exchange 2003 here.
    >
    >I have created many contacts in Active Directory from an excel sheet that contained a list of participant from a previous meeting. These participants are external contacts (so they have @gmail, @hotmail,...addresses).
    >
    >I have created a distribution list, and added as members all these new contacts.
    >
    >
    >
    >When i send an email to the DL, i receive an NDR for all contacts:
    >
    >CN=wim.tang@coco.com,OU=AIR,OU=Acme Events,OU=Distribution Lists,OU=Users,OU=Amsterdam,DC=corp,DC=acme,DC=local on 5/2/2012 11:56 AM
    >
    > The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.
    >
    > <corpexch01.corp.acme.local #5.1.0>
    >
    > What i am doing wrong?

The contacts you created aren't mail-enabled. How did you create them?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Thomas Vitoz Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:15 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:07 PM

All replies

• On Wed, 2 May 2012 10:27:50 +0000, Thomas Vit wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello,
    >
    >Exchange 2003 here.
    >
    >I have created many contacts in Active Directory from an excel sheet that contained a list of participant from a previous meeting. These participants are external contacts (so they have @gmail, @hotmail,...addresses).
    >
    >I have created a distribution list, and added as members all these new contacts.
    >
    >
    >
    >When i send an email to the DL, i receive an NDR for all contacts:
    >
    >CN=wim.tang@coco.com,OU=AIR,OU=Acme Events,OU=Distribution Lists,OU=Users,OU=Amsterdam,DC=corp,DC=acme,DC=local on 5/2/2012 11:56 AM
    >
    > The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.
    >
    > <corpexch01.corp.acme.local #5.1.0>
    >
    > What i am doing wrong?

The contacts you created aren't mail-enabled. How did you create them?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Thomas Vitoz Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:15 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:07 PM
  • Hello,

Any update?

Best Ragrds,

Lisa

Monday, May 7, 2012 9:20 AM
  • verify the DL email address to see if it exists and if the sender is using the right email address of the DL.

Sukh

Monday, May 7, 2012 12:32 PM