AD RMS Distributed Templates - Maximum Number of Template see from Client Machines RRS feed

• Question

• hi

my questions is, are there any limitations to see AD RMS Template from Client End ( E.g. Ms Word - i can see maximum 20 templates), my Templates are working fine. but i can see only 20 templates from client Machines, if i create new template, if the template name is started with Letter before which ever existing one

(e.g, Template i can see from MS Words)

Contoso- Tem01(first Template )

Contoso- Temo03

Edit- temp-0

Print (20 th Template )

if i create template with name B(C is first Letter for my case ), it will appear on template, also if i create D, or before P, it will apprear on List, also Last Template will be disappear . as i noticed, only 20 templates i can see from Client machines. is this default , if it's can i change it to different number

indunil 

Sunday, May 25, 2014 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hello Indunil -

The number of rights polcy templates that appear in the UI is dependent on the application.  In the case of Office 2003/2007/2010, the limit is 20, as you have found.  I'm not sure what the limit is with Office 2013, but I've tested it with up to 100 templates and all 100 appear in the interface. 

However, we have found that the number of templates available to an end user should be limited to between 4 and 6.  More than that and they can become overwhelmed searching for the right policy to apply.  There are ways to provide different sets of rights policy templates to different groups of users as well so that the end user only sees a subset of the total templates available.

I hope that helps!

Micah LaNasa

Synergy Advisors

synergyadvisors.biz

• Marked as answer by Indunil Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:43 AM

All replies

• any one has  answer ???
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:25 AM
  • Hello Indunil -

The number of rights polcy templates that appear in the UI is dependent on the application.  In the case of Office 2003/2007/2010, the limit is 20, as you have found.  I'm not sure what the limit is with Office 2013, but I've tested it with up to 100 templates and all 100 appear in the interface. 

However, we have found that the number of templates available to an end user should be limited to between 4 and 6.  More than that and they can become overwhelmed searching for the right policy to apply.  There are ways to provide different sets of rights policy templates to different groups of users as well so that the end user only sees a subset of the total templates available.

I hope that helps!

Micah LaNasa

Synergy Advisors

synergyadvisors.biz

• Marked as answer by Indunil Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:43 AM
  • thank you very much.  i tested with office 2013 and it's appear only 20 templates. is there any way to change this settings (change to 30 templates ). if u know, pls share with us. anyway thank you

indunil

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:20 AM
  • Hi Indunil -

This was no setting that I had to configure when I tested it.  I was using Office Professional Plus, perhaps different editions behave differently?

Micah LaNasa

Synergy Advisors

synergyadvisors.biz

Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:07 AM