Are the hardware requirements for SCCM 2012 same for Virtual or Physical Machines? RRS feed

• Question

• I have VMware environment in place and I like to know whether the hardware requirements for SCCM 2012 for Physical server are same or less.

I can use SQL instance with our corporate SQL server or I can put SCCM Database and application in one VM Server. Can someone suggest me please?

My environment is not too large. I have about 250 clients, 70 servers. I am planning to install the standalone primary without CAS in the main site and have two more Distribution Points for two remote sites.   

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:51 AM

Answers

• Hi

Agree With Jorgen. SCCM 2012 demands more Resources.

I would Place OS on Drive 1, SQL on Drive 2, SCCM on Drive 3.

SCCM have no relationship With SCE.

You can have multiple WSUS in Your environment at the same time. You Control this With GPO settings.

Regards,

Nicolai

sccm.biz

Nicolai

• Marked as answer by mkhan100 Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:29 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

There are no difference between the requiremetns if you are using a physical or virtual server for ConfigMgr 2012. The only thing to keep in mind is that the virtualized environment have enough diks I/O which is normally the problem as ConfigMgr is really disk intensive. When it comes to local or remote SQL I normally prefer a local SQL, in your case with a small number of clients it really doesn't matter. I would however use a local SQL as it is easier to manage no external dependencies from you ConfigMgr server, the SQL server Standard user rights license is included in the license to use Configmgr 2012 so it will not cost you anything.

If you are going for using the shared SQL make it must run SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS which in many scenarios is not the case.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There are no difference between the requiremetns if you are using a physical or virtual server for ConfigMgr 2012. The only thing to keep in mind is that the virtualized environment have enough diks I/O which is normally the problem as ConfigMgr is really disk intensive. When it comes to local or remote SQL I normally prefer a local SQL, in your case with a small number of clients it really doesn't matter. I would however use a local SQL as it is easier to manage no external dependencies from you ConfigMgr server, the SQL server Standard user rights license is included in the license to use Configmgr 2012 so it will not cost you anything.

If you are going for using the shared SQL make it must run SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS which in many scenarios is not the case.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Hi Jorgen,

Thanks for your answer.  

1. Do you have any preference or best practice to install OS and Config manager in one drive and SQL in second drive or it doesn't matter and I can place everything in one massive drive, like 500 GB?

2. Currently I have SCE 2007, which is also a WSUS server. I understand that there is not relationship between SCCM and SCE. Eventually I will decommission SCE after I will implement SCCM. My question is about the WSUS- Can two WSUS co-exist in production at a time without any issue? Or I should decommission SCE before I initiate SCCM installation?

Thank you

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Hi

Agree With Jorgen. SCCM 2012 demands more Resources.

I would Place OS on Drive 1, SQL on Drive 2, SCCM on Drive 3.

SCCM have no relationship With SCE.

You can have multiple WSUS in Your environment at the same time. You Control this With GPO settings.

Regards,

Nicolai

sccm.biz

Nicolai

• Marked as answer by mkhan100 Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:29 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:18 PM