Shutting down Exchange Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have made the move to O365 and because of how my predecessor left things we have a couple of small sites still using our old Exchange Server. they should be off of it in a month or so and then we can shut it down for good.  I was wondering what I will need to do for that.  I was told I cant just turn it off, but what specifically will I need to do?  

Uninstall Exchange?  Remove the server from the domain?  Run something to clean up AD? 

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:02 PM

Answers

• We have made the move to O365 and because of how my predecessor left things we have a couple of small sites still using our old Exchange Server. they should be off of it in a month or so and then we can shut it down for good.  I was wondering what I will need to do for that.  I was told I cant just turn it off, but what specifically will I need to do?  

Uninstall Exchange?  Remove the server from the domain?  Run something to clean up AD? 

You will need to at a minimum uninstall Exchange from the existing server before shutting down for good.  Additionally I would recommend stopping the services for a day and then shutting the server down for a day to weed out any hooks into the old system prior to uninstalling.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Proposed as answer by Hinte Monday, August 24, 2015 9:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Tuesday, September 8, 2015 4:19 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

I understand you want to remove the old exchange server in a hybrid environment.

I suggest we can refer to the below article to achieve your goal:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn931280(v=exchg.150).aspx  

Regards,

David 

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:48 AM

All replies

You will need to at a minimum uninstall Exchange from the existing server before shutting down for good.  Additionally I would recommend stopping the services for a day and then shutting the server down for a day to weed out any hooks into the old system prior to uninstalling.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Proposed as answer by Hinte Monday, August 24, 2015 9:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

I understand you want to remove the old exchange server in a hybrid environment.

I suggest we can refer to the below article to achieve your goal:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn931280(v=exchg.150).aspx  

Regards,

David 

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:48 AM