Run Windows performance trace on domain bound computers for inital login RRS feed

• Question

• I have some computers labs that are slow to login on the first login (2 - 3 minutes on initial login)

Subsequent logins are much faster (30-45 seconds) but the first login is the first impression, so I have a lot of students thinking that my labs are slow. 

I'm trying to use the performance trace as part of the ADK, however, I can't test user login, I can only test my login, which of course will be quick because I've logged in before. I have to be logged in to run the trace and I have to be the same user.  What can I do to run a trace and figure out what's causing the delay on initial user login?

Also, I have many startup programs because the lab software likes to load a bunch of garbage that runs on startup and their transforms when doing the silent install don't allow me to configure the background processes.  Is there any way I can block those startup programs using group policy without blocking the executable entirely?   

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Let’s first test the issue in Clean boot mode, which help you to uncheck all third part startup items and services, please let me know whether the login time decreases:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

Look forward to your response.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:34 PM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 11:09 AM