none
Hyper-v and Virtual switches

Question

• I know that it is not the same, BUT.... we have been running VMs on VMware 2.0.2 for a looooong time and the hardware is getting too old and starting to fail.  So, we decided to bite the bullet and get some newer hardware and install Hyper-V 2012 R2 Core on it.  Installing the base was no problem, but the virtual switch is getting on my nerves as we cannot get network connectivity on the VMs that we create.  We are running CentOS 6 as the VMs (running Web Servers and Mail Servers).   With VMware 2.0.2, we could set up the VMs on totally different subnets than from the hosts.  For example, we are running the host on a 184.71.91 network and the VMs are running on a 184.71.66 network and a 184.69.43 network.

I was wondering if it is possible for Hyper-V to do the same, or are we out of luck?

• Edited by Guy Ueland Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:41 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>I was wondering if it is possible for Hyper-V to do the same, or are we out of luck?

Yes, it is possible.

On host, create an external virtual switch. About the VMs, add virtual NICs and connect to the virtual switch.

Then inside the VMs, configure the IP settings, it is similar to physical devices.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Maybe this will help - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9843

The document was written for Hyper-V 2008, but the basics remain pretty much the same through 2016.  Once you understand the basics, expanding out to additional features in later versions is easier to grasp.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:13 PM
  • The thing to remember here is that; you don't do it the same way you do with ESX.

A physical NIC / team can be allocated to the Host - not linked to an External Virtual Switch.

A physical NIC / team can be allocated to VMs - only through an External Virtual Switch.

The Virtual Switch model is like a physical switch.  Not a bridge.  VLAN tags are applied at the vNIC level.  Physical network segmenting is at the physical NIC + virtual switch level.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:14 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 2:25 AM