none
IE Properties RRS feed

• Question

• Here’s why I don’t like to use IE.

I have a new computer setup with the latest software but now I know I have to use IE

First off I get the res://iesetup.dll/HardAdmin.htm. Who cares!! I know the security settings are over the top and I will have to change them to get the basic website going. Why not give me http://bing.com/ to start off with?

Next I will get the continues dialog boxes of adding websites to your white list and although you have added these websites to your white list: low and behold you are asked to save them to your white list Only!! To be told it is already in the save list!!!###### Same problems over every version I have tried.

Next you are asked to download Silverlight and can’t because you’re your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded. Really a Microsoft operating system and Microsoft IE and you can’t download this file. Crap I can’t I just copy the Silverlight download address and paste it into Google and guess what no problems or so you would think but no I have a site that you can only use IE to logon and see video guess what no Silverlight is not loaded the same old problems over and over again for years.

Couldn’t even use the website unless I set Active scripting to prompt and then I get the continuous clicking of the same message dialog box asking me the same stupid questions until I get to see the first page loaded. Talk about customer experience.

It’s just like the recycle bin can of the desktop screen. You go in and Empty Recycle Bin and the files are still there, but there not they have been recycled, same problem over the last several operating systems but at least this version operating system shows an empty can after you close the page not like the other version where you have to restart the computer.

I need to know which settings I can set in IE properties so I am still safe but able to get the terrific customer experience I get with Google that I have never found in IE so I can get to the growing number of website that now make you use IE only.

Has anyone seen a list of property settings to setup IE without all the drama? No I don’t want to read thousands of pages on IE. I just want it to protect me and work as expected.   

Friday, January 11, 2013 5:50 AM

Answers

• Ok so I have a tempry fix. Go to Security Tab and select custom level

Now select everything to enabled and watch IE complain, you are in harms way this, you have no security settings that, then download silverlight and walla I have IE doing what I won't and then I made IE all happy and fuzzy again by selecting Default level again and no more complaints

• Marked as answer by kvic Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:47 PM
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:47 PM

All replies

• Can we assume your using windows 8 and ie10 ?
    Also I have no idea what white pages is ? Trusted sites lists ?
    • Edited by ThrashZone Friday, January 11, 2013 7:05 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 7:01 AM
  • I'm using server 2012 with IE 10 but this is the same experience I've had with earlier versions of server and IE 

Yes Trusted websites and I meant White list which is what trusted website are instead of letting anyone contact your Black list is the opposite where you except everyone  

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:15 AM
  • I have tried again to view videos from a website that only allows IE and found this link http://support.learnnowonline.com/article.aspx?id=12276&cNode=2T5R0S

Basic went through this by removing all silverlight from my computer, reset IE to defaults, restart computer and then download silverlight from link to find that another waste of time with the same problems can't get the website to view set active scripting to enabled to make it work. get to the videos to find that a add-on for this website has failed and then my security settings don't allow silverlight to be downloaded which it did after starting my computer, same old problem going around in circles wasting my life 

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Trusted websites is a waste of time to use/ Remove All of them,

It should not be necessary anyway/ I've never used the feature.

I have used Restricted websites to block messenger and Advertising in outlook.com but that's about it,

Video trouble shooter, scroll down to the Java and Silverlight

sections and use the check your version links, Uncheck the Ask
    toolbar or Mcafee scanner from the install from the Java site.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532294

Trouble shoot games, Shockwave player related,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528246

Uninstall flash if needed,

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Download Flash and (Shockwave players Optional) and Reader while your there
    with the
    listings on the top right of this links page, Uncheck the Chrome
    install from the Adobe site.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Properties/ Internet options/ Security section/ Custom level button,

Check the Enable box for Display mixed content, Might want to Restore All zones to default first,

Advanced section,

Check the top box,

Use software rendering instead of gpu rendering,

Scroll down and check the box,

Do not save encrypted pages to disk,

Apply and Okay.

• Edited by ThrashZone Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:30 AM
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:23 AM
  • @sarin,

why are you using a server version of windows as your PC....

server versions of windows are security hardened and Ie runs in what is called Enhanced Protective Mode.... IE is not meant to be used for casual surfing and downloads.... by default the only website in the Trusted Sites list is *.microsoft.com to allow you to do downloads from TechNet and MSDN subscriptions to update your server. Enhanced Protected Mode IE ONLY allows downloads from sites in the Trusted Zone...

changing the default security zone settings on server versions of windows or using IE addons or using another web browser COULD compromise the security of your whole network...

servers are meant to be locked away in com's rooms with no keyboard, no monitor, no usb ports, no means of physical access... Full Stop....

there is absolutely no reason why a developer or administrator would need desktop access to a server version of windows.... you can use remote desktop or remote access to maintain your server. If you are a website developer, NONE of your site visitors will be using server versions of windows or IE... Full Stop.

Rob^_^

Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Because I won't Too

I use it for training

I have a home website

At no time did Microsoft claim that I can run it at home

That's your opinion, you are not right and I'm not wrong

Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Ok so I have a tempry fix. Go to Security Tab and select custom level

Now select everything to enabled and watch IE complain, you are in harms way this, you have no security settings that, then download silverlight and walla I have IE doing what I won't and then I made IE all happy and fuzzy again by selecting Default level again and no more complaints

• Marked as answer by kvic Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:47 PM
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:47 PM