none
Windows 2012 R2 Dcomcnfg fails to expand Computer objects

Question

• Windows 2012 R2
    VMware 6.5
    My Windows 2012 R2 Server is a VM on my ESXI Host 6.5
    It also runs SQL 2014  Enterprise and is clustered with another Windows 2012 R2 Server running SQL 2014

The other day on the server I received an event 10016 DCom error.

So I went in to the registry and found the ID's and added administrator to the security tab.

The next step is to run DCOMCNFG  expand Component Services the expand Computers.

When I try to expand Computers I get nothing displayed and the MMC hangs

I have to use task manager to kill the process.

Any ideas why I can not see the objects under computer?

I even ran as administrator and no luck.

Thanks

Tom
    Saturday, July 7, 2018 11:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your post.

In order to work further, would you like to share some information with us?

Before the issue happened, did you do any modifications? Or install any updates?

Did the issue occur before?

Did it work fine before?

In addition, I suggest you to check if the properties of [My Computer] is enabled, like the following picture:

Hope above information could help you. If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:25 AM
  • Kallen

Thanks for posting

This is a fresh built server.

Unfortunately I do not get to the My Computer screen. 

When I try to expand computers it hangs the MMC  I must kill the process 

any thoughts?

Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:55 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:01 AM
  • Kallen

Thank you for the update

Friday, July 13, 2018 1:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have found a link about DCOM event ID 10016 logged in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4022522/dcom-event-id-10016-is-logged-in-windows-10-and-windows-server-2016

In addition, according to my knowledge, a server run SQL would have high CPU and Memory. Could you please check the Task Manager like following picture when the issue occurred:

It may result to unable to expand [Computers].

If this issue is urgent, I suggest you to contact experts from the following forum to get professional support:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/home?forum=perfctr&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Hope above information could help you.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Kallen

• Marked as answer by Insearchof55 Friday, July 13, 2018 1:09 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Kallen

That was it.

I stopped all SQL services and now I can expand the Computers 

Thank you,

Friday, July 13, 2018 1:09 PM
  • Appreciate your support and patience.

Best Regards,

Kallen 

Monday, July 16, 2018 1:59 AM