a media driver your computer needs is missing RRS feed

• Question

• I just built my new computer and made a bootable usb drive with the windows 10 iso. I changed the boot order in my bios and then restarted. I got to the menu and clicked for windows to install only to have an error that says "A media driver your computer needs is missing.This could be a dvd, usb or hard disk driver. if you have a usb with the driver on it please insert it now". could someone please link me a site for a driver that i can put on a usb.Thanks!
    Saturday, January 7, 2017 1:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

See if suggestions mentioned here helps you:

http://www.kapilarya.com/a-media-driver-your-computer-needs-is-missing-windows-10

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Saturday, January 7, 2017 3:44 AM
  •    How did you create the USB file? I have never had any problems creating Windows boot USBs using rufus.

Bill

Saturday, January 7, 2017 3:53 AM
  • I just built my new computer and made a bootable usb drive with the windows 10 iso. I changed the boot order in my bios and then restarted. I got to the menu and clicked for windows to install only to have an error that says "A media driver your computer needs is missing.This could be a dvd, usb or hard disk driver. if you have a usb with the driver on it please insert it now". could someone please link me a site for a driver that i can put on a usb.Thanks!

the information about the drivers needed, is dependent upon your mainboard storage controller. your mainboard manufacturer should have included the relevant drivers on a CD or DVD with the mainboard, or, you can usually get them from the website of the manufacturer.

Since you haven't mentioned the manufacturer/make/model, it's tough to guide you to their website driver downloads page :(

Alternatively, if you can connect a wired internet connection to the pc before you start the Windows setup process, DynamicUpdate *may* be able to download the storage drivers seamlessly for you if the manufacturer has provided the drivers to MSFT to do so.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Saturday, January 7, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Had the same error when Windows Server 2016 install couldn't see any hard drives in VMware. I had to mount the latest VMware Tools ISO as a second CD-ROM drive and browse to the PVSCSI driver. I could then see the hard disk.
    Monday, September 17, 2018 12:10 PM