Couple of Exchange 2007 SCR setup questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm going to be setting up another Exchange 2007 server so that I can do SCR between our current Exchange 2007 server (source) and the new SCR Exchange 2007 server (target).  I've read all the Microsoft documentation that I could find, but I can't seem to find anything that says about what if any options I should use when actually running the Exchange 2007 setup on the SCR server.  I'm aware of using the same directory structure for the install and also for the storage databases, but I'd like to know what if any parameters I should use when running the Exchange 2007 setup. 

Also, currently our existing Exchange 2007 server has all the roles installed on it.  I'm assuming that I would do the same for my SCR target Exchange 2007 server correct?

Thanks,

Nick

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:44 PM

Answers

• nope, you install it as a normal mailbox server. the rest of the setup is via powershell, defining source and target etc.
    • Marked as answer by Nick Palmer Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:03 AM

All replies

• Yes, you will stand up another HUB/CAS/MBX server and then enable it for SCR and define the source/target.

After your install, this is an excellent article by Anderson Patricio that walks you through it..as well as some requirements before implementing it (like both servers SP1, etc)

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/managing-standby-continuous-replication-part1.html

• Proposed as answer by Adam Gamble Friday, February 10, 2012 8:05 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 8:05 PM
  • I've setup Exchange 2007 SCR for a few clients and generally I put all roles (CAS, Hub and Mailbox) on the server as I want it to be a full DR site.  Once that server is installed then you can create the replicas over to the server as an SCR target for whatever databases you want to replicate.

Here is a good article on how to enable it once that server is set up:

http://exchangeinbox.com/article.aspx?i=149

That's it.  It's essentially a regular Exchange 2007 mailbox server that has no mounted databases on it.

JAUCG

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hi Adam and JAUCG,

Thanks for the replies.  The links you have provided have been very helpful.  I guess my main question was when I run the actual Exchange 2007 setup do I need to specify any additional parameters?  I know when you do an Exchange recovery you have to give it special parameters and I wasn't sure if when running the Exchange setup on my SCR server if I needed to specify any additional parameters.

Thanks

Nick

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:37 PM
  • nope, you install it as a normal mailbox server. the rest of the setup is via powershell, defining source and target etc.
    • Marked as answer by Nick Palmer Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:03 AM
  • Thanks!  Got Exchange setup.  I'm working on setting up SCR now. 
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:10 PM