Business application development using SharePoint 2010 with Visual Studio 2010 capabilities RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to develop our business application using SharePoint 2010 with Visual Studio 2010 capabilities, this business application about Education and training management, which is currently a windows client application

to be frank I was postponing this move to the launch of 2010 to get the benefit from the development in the programming capabilities

my question is, are there any constraints or recommendations of moving my core business application to be SharePoint ?

Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:29 PM

Answers

• Ahmed,

Assuming the requirements of the application match the features of the SharePoint 2010 platform there would be no reason not to leverage SharePoint 2010.  Without knowing your business requirements I am not sure if anyone could comment on constraints.  Many businesses are moving thier mission crit applications to SharePoint. I would not discount SP as a core business application platform.

The recommendations I would give is to garther requriments first then decide the technogy. Also, if your organization is new to SharePoint then I would suggest that you have someone review your plans and assist in architecture before you proceed. Many projects tend to start off track and result in extra development for functionality already present in SharePoint.

Just my 2 cents :)

Darrin Bishop Darrin Bishop Group, Inc.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 4:26 PM

All replies

• Ahmed,

Assuming the requirements of the application match the features of the SharePoint 2010 platform there would be no reason not to leverage SharePoint 2010.  Without knowing your business requirements I am not sure if anyone could comment on constraints.  Many businesses are moving thier mission crit applications to SharePoint. I would not discount SP as a core business application platform.

The recommendations I would give is to garther requriments first then decide the technogy. Also, if your organization is new to SharePoint then I would suggest that you have someone review your plans and assist in architecture before you proceed. Many projects tend to start off track and result in extra development for functionality already present in SharePoint.

Just my 2 cents :)

Monday, November 9, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Let's ask this other way around - why do you think there are benefits to move application to SharePoint, regardless version
    SharePoint is just ECM platform to manage your stuff, and it's one from the several that exist on the market.

So, moving to SharePoint is feasible when you are developing EMC system and you can't do this without SharePoint capabilities.
    If not - I dont see any reasons why somebody should move to SharePoint
    I'd consider moving to web, but in this case ASP.NET MVC is the thing to start thinking about, but definitely not SharePoint
    SharePoint Tips & Tricks Portal | Microsoft MVP | My Blog | My twitter
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:23 AM
  • Not sure if I would agree that SharePoint is only good to build on  for ECM applications.  There is Business Intelligence, Portals, Collaboration, WCM, ECM and RM to name a few areas where SharePoint has already provided solutions for.  SharePoint is a platform, based on ASP.Net, SQL Server and other Services.  Applications built on SharePoint can take advantage of key areas such as search, storage and security. I am not saying all applications shuould be built on SharePoint, but I am saying that many more than traditional ECM apps can be.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:46 PM
  • > Business Intelligence, Portals, Collaboration, WCM, ECM and RM to name a few areas where SharePoint has already provided solutions for

What you described is a part of Information Management systems and SharePoint is ideal for this. There is a hure difference between IM applications and desktop applications. Yep, you still can use the SharePoint to manage some parts of your destop apps, lets say BI, but if to look on this from angle of "benefits vs costs" SharePoint provides really good benefits (but unfortunatelly not all) with reasonable costs only for IM applications, and for nothing else.
    SharePoint Tips & Tricks Portal | Microsoft MVP | My Blog | My twitter
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:51 PM