none
Problem with synchronization points RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem in DPM 2016, i have backup for multiple databases with the settings:

Short-term Recovery: 5 days | 60 minutes synchronization
    And full backup at 20:00 every day.

I have the setting that if i create a new SQL-Database DPM will find it automatically and start creating backups in the same protection group. But sens some months a go "new" added databases are just going for the Express full backup and the short-term are skipped. If i manually do a consistency check a new checkpoint are done. And if i check under Monitor > toady's jobs i will see that it's only scheduled for the full backup.

Thank you!

Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:56 AM

Answers

• housekeeping - closing old post.

The first thing to check is to see what options you have when making a new recovery point from DPM - if the only option is to "Create a recovery point by using express full backup" and the "Create a recovery point by using incremental backup" is grayed out, then the database was protected when it was not in full recovery mode.

DPM behavior explanation:

Protection Group: DPM determines recovery-models of databases during protection and creates jobs accordingly. So for databases with different recovery-models in the same PG, DPM will create both express-full and incremental backups for full-recovery model databases while only express full backup jobs for simple-recovery model databases will be created.

There are three scenarios where you can’t do any other RP besides Express Full in a SQL server:

- Simple Recovery Model Logs
     - Log Shipping
     - Mirrored Cluster

DPM determines the recovery-model/log-shipping / mirror or cluster settings of a database during protection (initial replication). Hence it is during protection that DPM determines whether to create incremental backups jobs for these databases or not. If the recovery-model of the database (or log-shipping configuration) changes after protection, DPM has no way of knowing about it as it does not inquire about these properties again during the phase of backups. Thus if incremental backups were disabled (Simple recovery model) for some databases then they will remain so throughout their protection.

In the case of change of recovery-model or log-shipping configuration of a database, the user will need to stop protection of that database and re-protect the database (and do a Refresh during re-protection) so that DPM sees the change and can configure backup jobs accordingly.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 6, 2020 9:55 PM