Superesede updates auto removal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

1- I have few questions about superseded updates:

Why WSUS does not remove the superseded updates automatically? Is it the best practice to remove them manually? 

2- why when I use clean up wizard it did not delete any superseded updates?

2- When I am deleteing superseded updates manually WSUS says verify it is no longer needed by any computers. How could it be needed by any other computer when there is newer update?
    Sunday, June 30, 2019 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Why WSUS does not remove the superseded updates automatically? Is it the best practice to remove them manually? 

The WSUS server will connect to Microsoft Update to get the available update information. When your WSUS server synchronizes for the first time, it will download all of the updates that you specified when you configured synchronization options. After the first synchronization, your WSUS server downloads only updates from the update source, as well as revisions in metadata for existing Updates, and expirations to updates. 

Therefore, rejecting expired updates and running the server cleanup wizard on a regular basis is a necessary action for daily maintenance of WSUS. You can also consider the use of planning tasks and scripts to achieve WSUS automation maintenance, please refer to this article: "Automating WSUS maintenance".

2- why when I use clean up wizard it did not delete any superseded updates?

You can consider adjusting the "supersedence" column as a display in the update view of the WSUS console, sorting by "supersedence" column, and manually rejecting the replaced update.

Then, perform the server cleanup wizard.

2- When I am deleteing superseded updates manually WSUS says verify it is no longer needed by any computers. How could it be needed by any other computer when there is newer update?

Sorry, I didn't understand your intentions.
    But my understanding, When update is superseded by another update, please replace these updates with the superseding updates when possible.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ghasem Shams Monday, July 1, 2019 11:24 AM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 6:34 AM