Windows 7 running out of memory RRS feed

• Question

• My system is periodically rebooting on it's own.  I installed the widget "all cpu meter" which displays a real time indication of physical memory usage.  I noticed that, over a day or two, the memory usage creeps up until the system simply has no more available.  Rebooting, of course, resets the available memory back to normal.  I have used the process tab in task manager to look at the memory usage for the processes, but none of the processes seemed to be using that much memory.  I have 12GB physical mem installed.  My hunch is that some process is grabbing memory then somehow releasing it, but it is not going back into the free memory list.   Does that make any sense?  Can anybody suggest a method that would help me identify where this memory is going?  Thanks!

12-5-2012 update.  Memory seems to be fine, as well as temperature. I let my system slowly use up memory till it crashed.  I got a mini dump (hope that is ok, if not I will enable full dumps).  I'm hoping somebody can examine the mini dump to see where all the memory is going.   Note that I don't get any "out of memory" errors, the system just reboots.  This time it took about 4-5 days to "use up" all the memory.   Can the mini dump be uploaded here for someone to look at?   Thanks in advance for any help.

• Edited by rvdv1 Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:25 PM

All replies

• Try this, go to iobit.com get advanced system care (Free) and enable smart ram, it will help keep system stable long enough for you to scan for a stack space virus, or create a memtest disk.

Get memtest and burn it to a disk boot from that disk and check for faulty ram - Let it complete 3 full passes. (If it fails replace ram)

If it passes, Scan your computer with malwarebytes and superantispyware (They are both free to use and I'm sure they will find somthing) Also disable your current av during the scans/repairs and uninstall the programs when your done.

If you dont want to use advanced system care start your pc in safe mode with netwroking and do the scans.

If you have the problem still run chcksisk right click c drive properties tools put a check in box scand and attempt repair.

If it still persists enable full crash dumps on your pc.

Get a crash dump and report back editing your original post.

Press cntrl+alt+del open task manager (Not in safe mode) and target processes that are running while you are idle look them up and disable unessary ones in services.msc.

You said the longer the computer runs the worse it gets it maybe a large amount of delayed startups, make sure you check at start up in taskmanager and after it has ran for a bit.

Hope I helped

Tom

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Check the tempature of your ram also. with ntune or somthing.

Tom

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to verify whether you have a lot of items on your desktop? It could be result from the desktop heap limitation.

You can refer to the following KB:

You may receive an "Out of Memory" error message because of the desktop heap limitation in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rvdv1 Friday, December 7, 2012 4:22 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the reply.  I have about 97 items on my Win7 desktop.  I'm not sure that is the problem because I actually never get an "out of memory" error, the system simply reboots when the free memory gets too low (as indicated by the "All CPU Meter" widget I have running.

I do have a mini dump from the last crash.  Can that be used to determine the process that is leaking all the memory?

ron

• Edited by rvdv1 Friday, December 7, 2012 4:26 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi Tom, I have a mini dump from the last crash.  Can that be used to determine the process that is leaking all that memory?  If so, can the dump be uploaded to this forum?

ron

Friday, December 7, 2012 4:29 PM