KMS Host count does not increment and Office 2010 Clients report activation fails because "count is insufficient" RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully installed a KMS server for Office 2010 Professional Plus on a Windows 2008 R2 Server.  The KMS host reports that for Microsoft Office 2010 the status is "Licensed"

I have installed Office 2010 on five client machines (actually it was installed via a sysprep image using WDS).

The KMS server continues to report that the Current Count for Office 2010 is 1 even though five clients have now attempted to activate against the server.  If I look in the server log I can clearly see the client activation requests.  If I run ospp.vbs /act on the client I see that it contacts the proper KMS host and the host tells the client that it does not yet have enough activation requests. (Error code 0xC004F038)

I tried manually reinstalling the KMS client key on the client machines for for Office 2010 Pro Plus.  I still get the exact same result.  The root cause seems to be that the Current Count in the KMS host is stuck at 1 and therefore will not activate any clients yet.  Why does the count not increment?

Is there a free support channel for volume activation issues with Microsoft?

Saturday, June 5, 2010 6:59 PM

Answers

• I did, in fact, run /gereralize when I created the image.  The problem was that before creating the image I had tested the Office programs.  This, in turn created a CMID.  Evidently the /generalize option does not clear the office CMID.  MS support told me to run ospprearm just before (or after) I ran sysprep with the /generalize option.  This fixed the problem in my new image for future deployments.  Running ospprearm on the existing machines also allowed them to successfully activate.
    • Marked as answer by Daledj Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Office 2010 KMS host must receive activation requests from at least five Office 2010 KMS clients before KMS clients on that network can be activated. If the KMS host does not receive more than five requests, KMS clients will not be activated. If you deploy Office 2010 to more than five computers, their initial activation requests will be used to build up the count. If activation fails, the computers will attempt activation two hours later. At that time, if the KMS host has a sufficient count, activation will be successful. To trigger activation manually on the KMS client, run ospp.vbs /act. For more information about the ospp.vbs script, see Tools to configure client computers in Office 2010.

To determine the current count on the KMS host, at the command prompt (with administrator permissions), run the following command:

cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv bfe7a195-4f8f-4f0b-a622-cf13c7d16864

The operating system that the KMS clients run under determines how the KMS clients send activation requests.

• For Office 2010 KMS clients that run under Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2   After Office 2010 is installed, the Office Software Protection Platform (OSPP) service automatically sends activation requests to the KMS host every two hours until activation occurs, regardless of whether Office 2010 is running. Once five of these KMS clients connect to the corporate network and successfully request activation against the KMS host, the KMS clients are activated. Clients that later connect to the corporate network are also activated. KMS clients that are not on the corporate network (at home, for example) become activated as soon as they connect to the network.
    • For Office 2010 KMS clients that run under Windows XP or Windows Server 2003   An activation request is sent when the computer is connected to the corporate network and an Office 2010 application is started. Starting an Office 2010 application starts the OSPP service, which continues to run until the computer is restarted. Although the OSPP service is running, an activation request is automatically sent every two hours during the 30-day grace period. If these KMS clients connect to the corporate network, and no Office 2010 application is started, no activation requests are sent to the KMS host. There are two ways to manually send an activation request to the KMS host to increase the current count. On each KMS client, perform either of the following while connected to the corporate network:

• Launch an Office 2010 application. This sends an activation request and starts the OSPP service.
      • From the command line (with administrator permissions), run cscript ospp.vbs /act. For more information about the ospp.vbs script, see Tools to configure client computers in Office 2010.

For more information, you can refer to this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624355.aspx

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:59 AM
  • I know that it needs at least five request to become active.  As I reported, I now have five clients that have requested activation, yet the counter in the KMS Host still shows only one having requested activation and none are activated.  The log on the KMS host show the five different clients repeatedly requesting activation, but the activation does not proceed.  the slmgr.vbs script reports that the Count is 1 and it does not increment with additional requests.  I have tried all the suggestions in the technet article you referenced without success.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 6:55 PM
  • It might be the CMID is not cleared.  You may have needed to run rearm before creating your image.  What you can do now is run rearm on each machine, then trigger activation again:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624357.aspx#section4

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Either all of your machines have the same CMID or, as Ted mentioned, you need to rearm each machine using ospprearm.

When you ran sysprep did you include /generalize? If not all of your machines that use this image will have the same CMID. Se this KB article for more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929829

Regards,
    Sean Francis
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Office Deployment Support Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/odsupport
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:42 PM
  • I did, in fact, run /gereralize when I created the image.  The problem was that before creating the image I had tested the Office programs.  This, in turn created a CMID.  Evidently the /generalize option does not clear the office CMID.  MS support told me to run ospprearm just before (or after) I ran sysprep with the /generalize option.  This fixed the problem in my new image for future deployments.  Running ospprearm on the existing machines also allowed them to successfully activate.
    • Marked as answer by Daledj Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:05 PM
  • i had this problem, and tried to solve it for weeks..

in the end, solution was quite simple:

ON SERVER:

run this:

cscript.exe slmgr.vbs /dlv bfe7a195-4f8f-4f0b-a622-cf13c7d16864

the "total count" must be higher than 5!  (if its smaller than 5, then proceed to client steps below)

ON CLIENT LAPTOP/DESKTOP:

1. Install Office 2010 standard/pro

2. run this: 

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPREARM.EXE"

3. run this:

C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /act

i did these two commands on 5 client computers, and then suddely all offices activated succesfully :D

• Proposed as answer by DoBongSoon Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Thank you! This saved me a lot!!! 3 years passed since this post and it is very helpful! THANK YOU!
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:50 PM