none
Can I import a WebCal calendar directly into my own calendar and not into its own calendar?

Question

• Hi,

We use a company to manage our On-Call schedules.  Their website allows us to export the calendar information so we can import it into Outlook so we always know who is on call.  When I do this, Outlook (2016) imports the calendar but creates it as a separate calendar under "Other Calendars".  I can then use the Overlay feature so it appears in my personal calendar but still shows a tab at the top for each one.

I need to subscribe to 3 or 4 on-call schedules so I know who is on call from each of our teams.  I don't want to have one calendar with 5 tabs across the top.  Is there any way to import the WebCal calendars directly into my personal calendar and not as separate "Other" calendars?  Or even if I can just hide the tabs, that'd be a help.

Thanks!

Monday, April 24, 2017 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>When I do this, Outlook (2016) imports the calendar but creates it as a separate calendar under "Other Calendars".

Which format is the calendar exported to? .pst or .ics?

How did you import the calendar in Outlook? Could you provide the detailed steps so that we can understand it more clearly?

When I was trying to import an .ics file, it prompted the following message. When selecting Import, it imported to my personal calendar.

When testing with a .pst file, it prompted with:

I selected the "Import items into the same folders in:" option and it imported correctly to my personal calendar.

Please check and make sure you have selected the correct option when importing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:06 AM
  • It's not an ICS or PST.  It's transmitted through the browser using the WebCal protocol.   When I click the link, chrome and Firefox prompt me to pick an app to use.  It's like a calendar feed as opposed to an actual file.

The URL is gives is in the format of:

webcal://mysite.advicent.com/xxxxx

I didn't get any sort of prompt as to where to put the calendar.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:14 PM
  • Bump.

I do have the option of getting an ICS calendar but my understanding is that an ICS calendar is a snapshot at a point in time and if the source changes, the calendar in Outlook doesn't know that because it doesn't go check for updates.  Is that right?

The Webcal is more of a Subscription than an import and it will go check for changes every so often and Outlook will reflect that.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:15 PM
  • So I guess I'll just assume the answer is No...
    Monday, May 29, 2017 2:37 PM