none
Lower to Upper Case Conversion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone advise upon how complete project plan summary tasks can easily be changed to upper case as better way of representation

Friday, May 17, 2019 5:24 AM

Answers

• I don't think you should have all uppercase for every task and every summary, or even for a selection of tasks and summaries. It's ugly, and whatever pattern you choose it will have to be constantly checked and maintained.

I often receive MSP files which are a dog's breakfast of upper an lower case, as well as leading, trailing and double spaces. I like all task names to be upper case on the first character of each word, called title case or proper case.

What I do is copy them all, paste them in EXCEL, and then in another column use a nested function formula:

=proper(clean(trim(A2)))

Proper() gives me the upper case on the first character

Clean() removes non printing characters (whatever they are, but I don't want them)

Trim() removes the leading, training and double spaces.

The copy and paste back into MSP, int a selection which is already selected.

This usually washes out the bold on the summaries so I just filter for summaries and re-bold them.

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:11 AM

All replies

• Sure,

Apply the Summary Task Filter,

Select all Name cells and copy paste to excel

In Excel use the Upper function to convert the text then copy paste back to Project.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, May 17, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Rod's suggestion is the easiest one.

If you need to change this for more projects, you can also use a macro:

Sub UpperCase4Summary()
    Dim P As Project
    Dim T As Task

Set P = ActiveProject

For Each T In P.Tasks
        If Not T Is Nothing Then
            If T.Summary Then
                T.Name = UCase(T.Name)
            End If
        End If
    Next T

End Sub

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog MVP

Friday, May 17, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Thanks Rod for the prompt response & the easiest way

Much appreciated

Out of the curiosity, is it possible to do a setting wherein 1. All tasks + WBS  or 2. Only WBS entered in lower or upper case get reflected therein in upper case only

Thanks

Friday, May 17, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Thanks Barbara
    Friday, May 17, 2019 6:44 AM
  • I don't think you should have all uppercase for every task and every summary, or even for a selection of tasks and summaries. It's ugly, and whatever pattern you choose it will have to be constantly checked and maintained.

I often receive MSP files which are a dog's breakfast of upper an lower case, as well as leading, trailing and double spaces. I like all task names to be upper case on the first character of each word, called title case or proper case.

What I do is copy them all, paste them in EXCEL, and then in another column use a nested function formula:

=proper(clean(trim(A2)))

Proper() gives me the upper case on the first character

Clean() removes non printing characters (whatever they are, but I don't want them)

Trim() removes the leading, training and double spaces.

The copy and paste back into MSP, int a selection which is already selected.

This usually washes out the bold on the summaries so I just filter for summaries and re-bold them.

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:11 AM
  • Many thanks & appreciated
    Friday, May 17, 2019 8:35 AM