Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have for personal use, two copies of Vista Ultimate.  One upgrade boxed package and one Vista sp1 full, which I got at the Hero's happen event.  Here is my problem.  I had one copy setup as 32 bit and one copy as 64 bit on the same machine I could boot to either one using the Windows Boot Manager.  Do to a series of issues (Raid, bios, and then stupidity on my part)  I lost both installations.  So I reinstalled the upgrade copy as I wanted 64 bit and this media has both 32 and 64 bit. I tried installing and using my full product key, but I recieve a message that the Validation service reports the key invalid.   Tight on time I decide to  use a techinque I had read about online to avoid reinstalling Windows XP just to use the upgrade media.  I installed without entering the Product Key.  Then after the install, I installed the upgrade using the product key this time.  After the first part of the upgrade (copy files, expand, etc.) the machine reboots and when it comes back to the setup - the setup fails.  As I was in a time crunch and since I had the other full product key and thought the perhaps the full version key since it came on Vista with SP1 media, might require sp1 - I installed all the service packs including SP1.  After rebooting, I retried the full version Product Key - again it fails validation.  I then decided to try upgrading using my copy of the pre-sp1 uprade media - no luck as you can't upgrade from a later version to an earlier one.

I am looking for advice - Any ideas why I can't get my product keys to work?  How can I get my installation activated?

thanks in advance for your assistance.

Monday, May 26, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• Fred

Is it actually failing the activation or do you get a message stating that 'the Product Key is in use'?

Either way, your best bet is to call the activation folks.

<Quote>

From Tim Quan - MSFT:

For product key issues, you can contact Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 for direct assistance, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

</Quote>

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:00 AM

All replies

• Fred

Is it actually failing the activation or do you get a message stating that 'the Product Key is in use'?

Either way, your best bet is to call the activation folks.

<Quote>

From Tim Quan - MSFT:

For product key issues, you can contact Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 for direct assistance, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

</Quote>

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:00 AM
  •  

Yah, it is saying invalid key not key is in use.  But I will call Customer Service tomorrow.  Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:21 AM
  • Fred

Your welcome.

Be sure to come back to this thread and let us know how this works out.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Follow-up.

I called Customer service and went through what was going on.  They confirmed that the full version key was valid and were just getting ready to send me on to technical support.   After receiving confirmation that the key was valid, I tried it once more - and can you believe it, it activated.   I know I checked the product key character by character multiple times and it failed... Very embarrassing.  I still don't really believe that I had a mistyped character, each time I tried it, but I don't have another explanation.

I now know how the users feel at my office, when they ask me to come to their desk for some issue, and when I get there, everything is working perfectly.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Fred

I have 'been there and done that' many times, I feel your embarrasment.

Sometimes I think the computer does this just to let us know that it is in charge, not us.

Glad you got the problem fixed.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:52 PM
  •  FredZilz wrote:

Follow-up.

I called Customer service and went through what was going on.  They confirmed that the full version key was valid and were just getting ready to send me on to technical support.   After receiving confirmation that the key was valid, I tried it once more - and can you believe it, it activated.   I know I checked the product key character by character multiple times and it failed... Very embarrassing.  I still don't really believe that I had a mistyped character, each time I tried it, but I don't have another explanation.

I now know how the users feel at my office, when they ask me to come to their desk for some issue, and when I get there, everything is working perfectly.

To anyone interested, this has happened to me on multiple occasions over the years. Sometimes I just cannot connect to the validation server at microsoft for whatever reason and the error ig gave me each time is the same as the one you encountered.

I think the activation server hiccups from time to time, to be honest, because eventually it will activate...it just wonks out sometimes

Monday, June 9, 2008 3:07 PM