none
Something went wrong ooberegion " when booting Windows 10 ISO via VirtualBox 5.22 RRS feed

• Question

• I have the latest version of virtual box installed on my laptop

HP Pavilion G6

8GB of Ram

windows 10 home 64bit

I am running the latest version of virtual box 5.22 to be precise, i have created a VM and allocated in 60GB of hard disk space and 2048MB of memory, i can also confirm i have installed the latest extension packs to support functionality of Virtual Box.

I downloaded the latest version of Windows from the official Microsoft Website and then proceeded to mount the ISO onto my newly created VM

When i start the VM the initial set up of windows goes fine, i can select my operating system and select the partition i would like the ISO installed on

once the initial set up completes i am prompted with a "just a moment spinning orb" eventually after around 15 minutes or so i am prompted with an error message

"Something went Wrong" 

OOBEREGION

you can skip or try again

i have tried to skip this process and try it again but it doesn't seem to work and i am now stuck in an endless cycle, i know this can work as i have already successfully mounted Windows Server 2016 onto separate virtual machine.

i noticed Microsoft uploaded a "workaround" for this type of fault

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4020048/windows-oobe-fails-when-you-start-a-new-windows-based-computer-for-the 

but unfortunately this provides no fix and basically tells you to reboot your machine, i have contacted virtual box and it is not a fault with their software, 

i've also ran the %windir%\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot

this did not work either, can you please provide a fix please 

Friday, December 7, 2018 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi TooFine,

What's the OS version of your Windows 10 image? 1809 or previous? Except the "OOBEREGION", have you got any other issues like "OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE" or "OOBELOCAL"? We found many similar situations occurred during 1803/1809 installation or upgrade period. We collected several workarounds provided by guys who had used to fix their issue:

1. The problem comes from the OOBE program which needs elevation privilege to perform its modifications. Reboot in safe mode to downgrade UAC mode then reboot in standard mode to end 1803 installation and then reset UAC mode to standard mode. You can check more details using following link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update/48722545-1ebc-43bf-9175-d0ab956d343b .

2. A complete reinstall from an ISO image on USB.

3. When you come to region selection screen, press SHIFT + F10 to open Command Prompt and enter following command: %windir%\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot. For this sysprep command, were you running at the region selection screen? We also found someone fixed his issue using this, you can check more details using following link: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-insider/118225-insider-isos-cant-get-past-oobe-stage.html .

4. There are some blocks for Windows 10 1809: Microsoft halts update if you use flawed Intel drivers. It affects the AMD Radeon HD 2000 or HD 4000 series graphics cards. Are you using one of these? If so, it's still pending for resolving, you'll need to wait for updates. You can check more details using following link: https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/482203-cant-install-1809-clean-update.html .

5. If you want, maybe you can try to skip the OOBE phase using an Answer File, using this link for more details of Answer File: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/hh825121(v=win.10)

Note: these are 3rd party links, we don't have any warranties on these websites. It's just for your convenience.

If above workarounds are all not working, what’s unfortunately, then we may need to collect some related log files for further analyze. Please collect logs under below paths for our reference. \Windows\Panther\UnattendGC\setup*.log

\Winodws\Logs\CBS

\Windows\inf\setupapi.*.log

Since you can’t boot into the system, you could boot into windows recovery mode(using recovery media), then copy out the log file. Then upload them to a network drive and share the link here. Thanks for your cooperation!

If any other questions, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 10, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Hi TooFine,

What is your current situation? Have you tried the suggestions provided above? Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, any other questions please feel free to post back. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,
    Zoe Mo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:03 AM
  • thanks for the updates

i believe 1809 is causing me issues since there are compatibility issues with AMD technology, do you have a a link to where i may download W10 1803 as i believe this does not have issues with AMD and may work

please advise  

Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:36 AM
  • Hi TooFine,

You can download and run the media creation tool to create and save an ISO file. Please follow this link for more details: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 .

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:16 AM
  • where can i find the 1803 ISO file 

the link you have provided is only for 1809

Friday, December 14, 2018 12:55 PM
  • Hi TooFine,

Sorry for the mistake. You can get your media from the VLSC. Following this link for more details: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2472143/download-and-burn-an-iso-file-on-the-volume-licensing-site-vlsc .

If any other questions, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Monday, December 17, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Hi TooFine,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, any other questions please feel free to post back. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,
    Zoe Mo

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:46 AM
  • Hi TooFine,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, any other questions please feel free to post back. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,
    Zoe Mo

Friday, December 21, 2018 9:32 AM