none
Is there a way to isolate a task so that all other tasks cannot work during that duration..... RRS feed

• Question

• It would work like a non working day for all the other tasks  but not for the one task only it would be tied to the task and not the date.  

Specific example: On a wood frame construction project, there is one day where you have to pour a gypcrete underlayment.  No one can work in the building while that is being done.   I can manually break up the tasks but if the gypcrete moves, then that would cause a ton of re-work on the schedule.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I beg to intervene since nobody even started answering the original question (linked to the task, NOT THE DATE).

The only way I know to do that automatically is through resource leveling. Make a resource "access to the building" and connect all tasks that need that access to this resource. Give the Gypcrete the highest priority (i.e. 1000) and level with the options "Leveling can split in progress tasks" ON. Also make sure "Split in progress tasks" in ON in the Options. Thenwhen leveling all tasks will be neatly "mapped" around the Guproc task and when the latter moves, new leveling will replace all without the need for intervention on the other tasks.

Hope this helps,

Friday, April 3, 2015 7:37 AM

All replies

• Why not doing as you said, meaning creating a calendar exception during this days in the standard calendar? Then create another calendar from the standard one, but without the exception and assign this copied calendar to the task in question.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, April 2, 2015 3:20 PM
  • That would provide the same result, but it seems like a work-around.  As the project moves forward, the date of this activity may slide one way or the other depending on how the job progresses and I would rather not have to remember to adjust the calendar every time for that activity.  On this project, this is one building of eight and each building will have different days so adjusting the calendar each time I update the schedule would take some time and probably wouldn't be worth it.  

If it were linked to a task instead of the date then it would adjust automatically like any other task with a predecessor/ successor relationship.

Thanks for your response.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 6:26 PM
  • In addition to Guillaume's excellent answer, you can use the exceptions in the second calendar to make sure that particular task is scheduled in the days you want.

Example:

• Standard calendar (used at project level) has an exception on 02/04/2015
    • The additional calendar (that will be used for your particular task) will have as exceptions: 01/01/2015 - 01/04/2015 and 03/04/2015 - 31/12/2015
    • This way when you schedule your 1 day task (with no constrains or dependencies), it will be scheduled on 02/04/2015

The only thing is that you need to make sure the two calendars are in sync and the exceptions in the first one are not an exceptions in the second one

Paul

Thursday, April 2, 2015 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

I beg to intervene since nobody even started answering the original question (linked to the task, NOT THE DATE).

The only way I know to do that automatically is through resource leveling. Make a resource "access to the building" and connect all tasks that need that access to this resource. Give the Gypcrete the highest priority (i.e. 1000) and level with the options "Leveling can split in progress tasks" ON. Also make sure "Split in progress tasks" in ON in the Options. Thenwhen leveling all tasks will be neatly "mapped" around the Guproc task and when the latter moves, new leveling will replace all without the need for intervention on the other tasks.

Hope this helps,

Friday, April 3, 2015 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

Another solution I can think of is to create like a "bottleneck" in your project plan. The "Pour a gypcrete underlayment" task will have a dependency SF to the tasks before and after, making sure there is no way other tasks will be executed in parallel.

Paul

Friday, April 3, 2015 9:10 AM
  • Thank you for addressing the question!  I think that will do what I need Jan
    Friday, April 3, 2015 2:33 PM