none
Exchange 2013 Recovery Points Very Large RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that our DPM 2012 server is creating very large recovery points for our exchange 2013 database as compared to Exchange 2010. During a sync every 15 minutes it transfers about 2-3GB which is normal but the full express backup recovery points are very large.Our Database is about 250GB which is about the same size as our previous 2010 database. It seems that Exchange 2013 produces a LOT more logs than 2010 did so would that explain the larger recovery points?

If so, I guess I'll need to go post in the Exchange 2013 forum about why so many logs are being generated.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Even when an Exchange database is not under load the exchange store and database engine are reading and modifying pages against the database.  Store and ese are never idle.  Therefore, even on a server with no mailboxes there will always be transactions generating.

In Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1 and beyond page zeroing is enabled by default and there is no method to disable it.  Page zeroing is a process that takes pages that exist in whitespace within the database and marks them with a pattern making them forensically unrecoverable.  The page zeroing process runs as part of the background maintenance process and cannot be disabled.   These page zeroing writes are tracked by DPM and therefore will contribute the data transferred.

Understanding Exchange 2010 Page Zeroing
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg549096(v=exchg.141).aspx

Summary: DPM is only backing up data (logs) / changes to the DB’s that Exchange is constantly generating regardless of workload and there is no real predictability to the amount of those changes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 6, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Mike,

this issue in fact exists in Exchange 2010 SP1 and up. It causes me lots of trouble because of huge express full backups. I was told by an Exchange support engineer that the issue was fixed with Exchange 2013 and that it will be fixed for 2010 as well. But I have no ETA on a fix for 2010.

Marcus

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:57 AM