none
Creators Update Broke Simultaneous Multiple Access (Remote and Local Session)

Question

• I used to use local login session with Account a and remote desktop session with different account B on my Windows 10 Education. 

After creators update, I am seeing this message: 

another user is signed in if you continue, they'll be disconnected. Do you want to Sign in any way?

Steps to reproduce:

- Login locally on the same PC

- Try to remote desktop to the same PC with a different account.  You will see this message: "another user is signed in if you continue, they'll be disconnected. Do you want to Sign in any way?"

Any legit way to fix this issue? 

Thanks,

Baha 

Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:39 AM

All replies

• Well not sure how this ever worked for you previously. Windows desktops only allow 1 connection at any one time, been like since way back. Anyway around that is against the license. So how did this work before? Not possible afaik in Windows desktops.
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 10:20 PM
  • Windows 10 Education (similar to what Windows Enterprise features) anniversary update  (version 1607 and OS build 14393.1480) allows  multiple connections. My wife and I were using same PC (I am 100% sure on this) for few months. I was doing remote desktop and she is using local session.

I have to now read licence restriction. 

• Edited by bbaniya Friday, July 14, 2017 10:41 PM version information
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:11 PM
  • If you want to upvote this issue in Windows Feedback Hub App. 

Link below opens Windows Feedback Hub App

https://aka.ms/Nvomf1

Issue Title: 

Simultaneous remote and local access not allowed 

Issue Detail: 

Windows 10 Education

I used to get simultaneous remote and local access not allowed  before version 1703 (creators update).

Now it shows me message: 
    Another user is signed in. If you continue, they'll be disconnected. Do you want to sign in anyway

• Edited by bbaniya Friday, July 14, 2017 10:43 PM Opens Window 10 Feedback Hub App
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:17 AM
  • Hi Baha,

That's impossible. All Windows Client computer's user license for a work station is single user. It allows only one session of RDP, the Remote Desktop Server in Windows Client other than the Windows Server edition has a limitation to allow only one concurrent user per session by default, i.e. if someone remotely connects to the computer over RDP then whoever was logged in at that moment will be automatically logged off, even if that user is physically present at the computer. This is by design.

For exact information, please read this Microsoft license agreement:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:35 AM
  • I reverted back to previous windows version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1066). It is now allowing both local and remote session at the same time. 

Looks like this version does not have this check in place. 

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Hi Karen, 

I cannot find the mentioned licence terms on licence agreement page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm).

Can you please quote that paragraph here for me? 

I saw 2-> c-> v and 2 -> d -> v licence terms about access which still does not prevent the multiple usage. 

Regards,

Baha

• Edited by bbaniya Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:28 AM licence link
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:17 AM
  • I reverted back to previous windows version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1066). It is now allowing both local and remote session at the same time. 

Looks like this version does not have this check in place. 

Hi,

That's not possible.

Did you install any third-party software to achieve it?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hi Karen,

I have not installed third party software or edited any thing illegally. It is very hard to understand legal lines.

Second sentence "Other users, at different times, may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies, but only on devices separately licensed to run the same or higher edition of this software." Does not this mean  -  Windows 10 Enterprise user can access Windows 10 Education session?

However the first sentence ("No more than once every 90 days, you may designate a single user who physically uses the licensed device as the licensed user. The licensed user may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies.") seems like not allowing what I am trying to do.

First sentence contradicts with second sentence, doesn't it? 

Thanks,

Baha

• Edited by bbaniya Wednesday, July 12, 2017 8:58 AM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 10:26 AM
  • 1607 may have let you do it, but it's not legal on a desktop OS to have multiple users access the operating system at the same time.  1703 fixed a bug.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Hi Susan,

I am happy to see paragraph which says : Microsoft has fixed a bug. 

Regards,

Baha

Friday, July 14, 2017 10:46 PM