MAP 8.5 Cannot export DB RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the error: "A failure occurred while exporting the database. Refer to the log for more details". Etc., Etc. "BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally".

Looking at the log file I see this: <2013-11-21 16:09:50.61 TID-1@ScuiFxTraceListener,I> <RegisteredCommand.Invoke|CommandService|INFO> Command _Manage Databases..., delegate target "Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.UI.WpfConsole.Commands.MainMenuSupport" and method "Void OnManageDatabasesCommand(System.Object, Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConsoleFramework.CommandEventArgs)" invoked
    <2013-11-21 16:09:50.67 TID-1@ScuiFxTraceListener,I> <WindowFocusedNavigationNode.UpdateFocusedNodes|INF> Focused node is 'msscnav://root/Windows/Window'
    <2013-11-21 16:09:50.67 TID-1@ScuiFxTraceListener,I> <WindowFocusedNavigationNode.UpdateFocusedNodes|INF> Focused node is 'msscnav://root/Windows/Window/ConsoleDisplay/ApplicationOverview'
    <2013-11-21 16:11:28.52 TID-7@ManageDbsDialogViewModel,I> ExportADatabase(FolderName DatabaseName): Exporting database to 'C:\MAP_wyd5gfyd.w2f\MAPdb.bak'
    <2013-11-21 16:11:29.65 TID-7@UiDataAccess,E> Exception Occurred (ExportSelectedDatabase): Cannot open backup device 'C:\MAP_wyd5gfyd.w2f\MAPdb.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
       |BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    <2013-11-21 16:11:29.65 TID-7@ManageDbsDialogViewModel,E> ExportADatabase(FolderName DatabaseName): Caught exception Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.CommonObjectLibrary.ExceptionClasses.DataAccessHelperCustomException
       |Exception: Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.CommonObjectLibrary.ExceptionClasses.DataAccessHelperCustomException: Cannot open backup device 'C:\MAP_wyd5gfyd.w2f\MAPdb.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
       |BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
       |   at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.UI.WpfConsole.DataAccess.UiDataAccess.ExportSelectedDatabase(String dbName, String exportFilePath, String description)
       |   at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.UI.WpfConsole.Dialogs.ViewModels.ManageDbsDialogViewModel.ExportADatabase(String filePath)

I am beginning to suspect the failure could be related to the fact that I have a SQL Server 2008 running on the same server which I am running MAP 8.5 from but the MAP log is not helpful in troubleshooting the problem. Any suggestions?

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:30 PM

All replies

• During backup, a temp folder is created in a directory named C:\MAP_{random characters}\

So the problem is related to permissions to write to C:\. Check both the permissions of the account you are logged into Windows with and the account that SQL is running under.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Thanks for your reply... The simple solution to this issue appears to be NOT to run MAP 8.5 from a SQL Server. First to your point; I checked both my (Domain Admin) account and the local System account to confirm both had r/w and modify permissions on C:\ so that does not appear to be a problem. After much wheel-spinning I reinstalled & re-ran on a non SQL Server host resulting in zero issues when backing up and exporting the DB. It seems clear there is a conflict between Full version SQL Server and SQL Express which installs as part of the MAP software package.

Thanks`

• Edited by AD_Guy Friday, November 22, 2013 10:58 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 10:57 PM